Boot pick screen not showing backup

Nick66

Registered
Hi,

I recognize that technically this may not be the right forum (although I am running VMW with windows on partitioned hard drive), however, I'd be grateful if you could cut me some slack on this problem I'm dealing with.

I'm trying to get my backup (stored on iomega 2TB, GUID partition) to show on the boot pick screen while I hold down the option key. I've not tried to upgrade my hard drive before so pretty much all of this is new.

At startup boot pick screen, only Mac and Windows drives are visible. Not the superduper backup on external hard drive (EHD)

After many attempts I have found process a) if I select EHD from system preferences and select 'restart' from same pane, my 2009 notebook will restart using the EHD copy of my desk top. Great. If I then shut notebook down, start it again, and hold down option key, the EHD is not visible on boot pick screen (problem recurrs). So...

Back to a), + this time I hold option key at restart and backup is visible. I turn off Mac at this stage, wait a little (2 mins at most), iomega seems to go to sleep, turn it on again and hold down option key, backup no longer visible. This is irritating problem seems to rely on iomega not sleeping after notebook is turned off. I have run out of ideas at this stage.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Nick

Ah - I also have an Iomega external, and have similar experiences, where the external does not always show after a shutdown.
Power-cycle your Iomega drive before you try Option-booting your Mac. That always brings it up for me.

Hi DeltaMac
Thanks a lot. At the risk of sounding very stupid, is a power cycle simply switching the iomega drive off and on before option-booting the Mac?
Thanks again for your help

Back