Boot Problem

Santiyo2000nfo

Registered
I've got a Dual Core Intel 24" iMac Pci 128.

OK!!! heres the low down.

I was doing some torrent downloading when suddenly it asked me to reset by holding the power button. So i did.

This is what happens now...

Switch it on
- Sound playes
- Takes a bit longer then usual, first the apple appears then a small cartwheel loading icon...
- After quite some time, (2-3 Mins) The screen goes blue, at first with nothing on it, then the same cartwheel, then after a while it settles on blue (without loader) and rests there for eternity...

SO! what i Have i tried;

I went on the apple website to try some methods using single user mode, HOWEVER, most of the commands require the command line
"mount -uw /" to start a sequence of other commands.

Now when i type this in i get the following:

"localhost:/ root# hfs_swap_HFSPlusBTInternalNode: catalog key #111 invalid length (17952)
node=3 fileID=4 volume=Macintosh HD device=/dev/disk0s2
Dec 28 19:17:29 launchd: blind("thesocket"): Input/output error
hfs_swap_HFSPlusBTInternalNode: catalog key #111 invalid length (17952)
node=3 fileID=4 volume=Macintosh HD device=/dev/disk0s2
Dec 28 19:17:29 launchd: blind("thesocket"): Input/output error"

So im guessing this means it cant use that command so i cant carry on with Apples official remedies (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106464)...
So i tried using my Mac Os Disk, load it in boot sequence by holding down C.

It loads fine (slow), i select language, then at the top i select "utilities" then "disc utility". in the new window i select my HD then under "first aid" i select "Verify Disk".

Here is the output;

" Verifying volume "Macintosh HD
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid extent entry
Invalid extent entry

Incorrect block count for file autow(symbol)kflw.jpg *****
(It should be 16389 instead of 5)
Invalid extent entry
Invalid node structure
The Volume needs to be repaired

ERROR: The underlying task reported failure on exit
"

Note *****: the file autow*kflw.jpg has some chinese font as the *, i dont know what it is or how to input it on this forum. I hope this is understandable, if needed to i can take a picture of it.

SO!! It sais it has errors, so i press repair disk... this time;

" Verifying volume "Macintosh HD
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid extent entry
Invalid extent entry

Incorrect block count for file autow(symbol)kflw.jpg *****
Invalid extent entry
Invalid node structure
The Volume needs to be repaired

ERROR: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error"

At the same time there is also a pop up;

"First Aid Failed

Disk utility stopped repairing "macintosh HD" because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit"

*sigh... So now i think, screw it, reinstall the OS, (non destructive, i have files i need) So i go back to the autoload of the Cd and keep pressing continue, under Installation options i select, "Archive And Install".

Keep pressing next, it "verifies the Dvd" then after it finishes it sais, "Could not install, try again"

So i cant use the disc and dont want to erase the HD. I do some more research and i learn about fsck.

So i reboot into Single User, run "/sbin/fsck -fy", here is the output;

"** /dev/rdisk0s2
** Root file system
** Checking HFS Plus volume
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
Invalid extent entry
(4, 3511)
Invalid extent entry
(4, 3511)
Incorrect block count for file autowd2kflw.jpg
Invalid extent entry
(4, 3511)
Invalid node structure
(4, 20417)
** Volume check failed."

And it goes back to "localhost:/ root#".

I can tell that that jpg file is making trouble, im going to look into that.

So after failing badly with everystep i decided to call tech support, but its not within the hours im availiable so im screwed.

But hopefully not for long, ive spend ages typing this out and double checking, so i hope this information is valuable and someone can lend a hand.

Thanks again, and please ask if you need to know anything else.

- Santi

Im still under my warrenty. Do you think its worth sending it back to apple and stating that i want my files intact?

Could you give me a technical breifing on that program link you gave me?

Is it destructive?

ty.

- Santi

edit. also do u have a link to a free programme? its pretty expensive...

I doubt the drive is bad, so may not be covered under warranty, not sure.
I certainly wouldn't trust Apple to preserve your files/data.

As for Diskwarrior, go to that link. It has all the info right there. It's the best utility you could get for this type of problem.

No free program that I know of for this.

If the hard drive is bad, they would replace it for free.
It's is corruption that can be fixed with a utility, they may charge you.
Why not call and ask.

i wish i could but there only open in my work hours....

n they better not charge me lol...

i work in retail n that shouldnt happen within the first month of purchace... it is also a refurbished product so i can use that agaisnt them too....

ty for the help so far..

Ive talked to apple, because the HD shows in the disc utility programme, it probably isnt hardware...

They think a complete wipe will fix it, to back up my files i need to take my big mac to the nearest branch.... which is far far away.

Ive complained and said the correct key words and they will probably send a technitian and with further harrasment i will get them to do a back up... they are going to contact me on tuesday.

However...

Untill then i have obtained a copy of discwarrior 4.... i need some help...

Ive got the DiscWarrior 4.CDR file on a windows pc... Now prove me wrong is .CDR not Corel Draw file? I dont really understand what todo with this file, i know it is an image of a cd, but programmes like alchahol 120 dont recognise it as one.

Can i just copy the file straight onto a disc then boot with apple/C ? I would really appreciate some help...

Ty.

Ive got the DiscWarrior 4.CDR file on a windows pc..

You mean you've obtained DiskWarrior illegally.
We don't help using software you've obtained this way.

Thats fine. The software itself was lent from a friend.

On another topic. Can someone give me information on .CDR files being used as an image on mac pc's.... as we speek i am simply burning the files on to disc using Xp's disc burning utility.

Can someone add some light?

ty

You don't understand, I think. Even if it's a friend you're copying from, you're still trying to get help in illegally copying an application's installation disc. Read the board rules, and no you won't get help here about it.

Ok this is what i've been desperatelly trying...

Im trying to get Mac OS to run on my pc for two methods...

to open that stupid file... but mainly to see if i can do that firewire to firewire mac connection to back up my mac so i can reinstall the OS

I downloaded PearPC, and also Pearpc Control panel... i spent about 3 hours turning my MAC Os X discs into .ISO files. Then i use pearpc to to boot from the discs and install the OS on my windows...

Ive tried this on a laptop n i always get memory error messeges... so i tried to put it on my regular pc. Ive been trying to put all the .iso files and pearpc HD files files onto an external HD, (i dont have cdrom on my pc) but even when it has 40g free and the files are 14g it sais "MEMORY FULL" So i screwed that idea for now... i am burning everything to discs

Just wanted to give an update.

Back