Boot start up commands don't work

bharoche

Registered
I have a late model G4 Powerbook. I've noticed after upgrading to 10.4.4 I can no longer use any startup command key combos to start in firewire target mode, or single user mode, or verbose mode or any other mode that requires holding down keys during start up. I have not set a firmware password (I know that can disable some commands). Upgrading to 10.4.5 didn't help. Nor did repairing commissions. Obviously I can't zap the pram b/c I can't get to the pre-OS open firmware mode.

I have no peripherals connected to the powerbook at boot time. The built in keyboard works fine once I'm booted into OS X. I just can't NOT boot into the OS. Also, for what it's worth, the start up chime no longer sounds on boot up (it's not even very low; it's completely absent).

I can boot from the OS X install CD after I load in OS X and re-boot.

Any ideas?

Per your suggestion I've now tried re-setting the firmware password using the app on the install CD. First I set a real password, then I disabled it. No luck - still no boot up commands works.

Problem solved: the Apple store removed my 3rd party RAM before readying the unit to ship it for repair, and the boot commands started working again. It appears the RAM just needed to be re-seated.

Back