Boot time duration?

didde

Registered
I was trying to get my G4 MD to dualboot 10.4 and Debian GNU/Linux today, which lead me to reboot 1.000.000 times while trying out some stuff with yaboot and OF. As I usually never reboot or shutdown the Mac, I noticed that Tiger is insanely fast to boot! It literally throws the login screen at you seconds after the OF has done its thing, which never was the case with 10.3.

Panther wasn't slow, but it still showed the "middle" screen between the initial grey display and the login window.

On the other hand, Tiger takes its time to actually login a user. On all the systems I have tried it on (vanilla installs) the time from login to a usable Finder is considerably longer than ever before.

So, I just wanted to check with you all to see if this seems to be the way Apple is heading with Tiger, or if its just a bug / feature which will be fixed further down the road. I for one prefer the "lazy initialization" style in the latest build.

I am not surprised that boot speed on Tiger is improved. From a lot of what i've read, it seems that decreasing boot time is quite a high priority for Tiger.

MBHockey said:
I am not surprised that boot speed on Tiger is improved. From a lot of what i've read, it seems that decreasing boot time is quite a high priority for Tiger.

Yeah, of course, but at the expense of the actual "login time" though? Is it really a smart move?

A matter of opinion I guess :D

I can't vouch for that, as I don't have access to developmental builds of Tiger, legally. But just remember, Tiger is still a good 6 months away, i'm sure improvements will be made :)

In my opinion, Apple should focus on bringin' login time down, not boot time. A UNIX-based system is rarely rebooted, however you'll find logins and user switches happen more often...

Of course as long as any old system update or even application update etc. causes the Mac to need rebooting, it doesn't really matter which one is improved, as long as one's improved.

But yes, I too noticed that boot time was improved. However, I did not find login time especially long.

fryke said:
In my opinion, Apple should focus on bringin' login time down, not boot time. A UNIX-based system is rarely rebooted, however you'll find logins and user switches happen more often...

Of course as long as any old system update or even application update etc. causes the Mac to need rebooting, it doesn't really matter which one is improved, as long as one's improved.

But yes, I too noticed that boot time was improved. However, I did not find login time especially long.

exactly how I feel pretty much. I reboot maybe once every 2-3 weeks but in the span I log out at least once every couple days.

Then again, _if_ the main portion of OS X users came from OS 9, they probably still set up their machines as one-user machines and shut down their machines when they leave work at 17.00h. ;) Also: Steve Jobs' famous words when working on bringing down the boot process of the original Macintosh: "A few seconds might not seem much for one user, but we'll sell millions of these machines..." (or something like that...)

I got my first mac in 95 or 96 so I started in the 7.5 days. I have always left my desktop systems on 24/7. didn't start the 24/7 thing till I switched to macs for some reason.

Maybe the login time just seems slower because boot time has decreased, hence you are staring at the login screen longer than at the boot up screen, so it only feels longer, even though the login screen is up the same amount of time as it is on a Panther machine.

MBHockey said:
Maybe the login time just seems slower because boot time has decreased, hence you are staring at the login screen longer than at the boot up screen, so it only feels longer, even though the login screen is up the same amount of time as it is on a Panther machine.

No, trust me. After login, the login screen goes away and then you see the good old "Aqua" background. 20 - 30 secs after that you get a usable finder.

I'm hoping that it just takes longer to login because it's a beta, and that they'll make it better once Tiger is closer to release.

Could this change in time, be related to items in your StartupItems folder, and/or your StartupItems in System Prefs that run when you login.

Doubt it. Mine is just a stock install. It doesn't take 30 seconds for me though, but it is longer than with Panther.

Full boot time is of importance for PB and iB users who completely shut their computers down for transportation and restart these when coming in meetings in front of customers !

Why not start it up in the car when you get there, put it to sleep and they will be impressed it's on when you open the lid :D

Sorry, my portable computer is a Windows system, and when it wakes up from sleep, it is not always in the expected mode (sometimes the mousepad is frozen, sometimes the screen has white pixels...), therefore I'm used to reboot, this may not apply to MacOS-X on portable computers.

You're right, full boot-up doesn't matter to PowerBook & iBook owners that much, unless they're kinda, well, stupid. ;) Sleep works wonderfully with Mac OS X (as you _should_ be aware even when using a desktop Mac..., and I never found the need for shutting down my PowerBook. Ever. Only if you leave your PowerBook without external power for more than a week, I guess you'll see a problem, but that never happens to me, because either I leave my PowerBook on external power for that long a period - or I actually take my PowerBook with me, when I'm leaving the house for more than a week. Essentially: The sleep function is a PowerBook/iBook owner's friend.

Back