boot to dead disk how-to no longer working

drumly

Registered
Hi. I had the blinking folder problem, followed the how-to's instructions on fixing it in open-firmware and it worked. I changed the startup disk back to OS X in preferences, and then four hours later, my iBook froze again. When I restarted it was back. Now, in open firmware, the trick doesn't work any more. The boot device is now listed as

mac-io/ata-4@1f000/@0:2, \System\Library\CoreServices\BootX hd:,\\:tbxi

What do I do? Nothing is working.

Just noticed, but don't remember, is the boot-file supposed to be blank? I can't remember if there was something there before, I'm new to firmware.

Don't know about the firmware/boot-file procedure, but you should boot up using your system disk, repair permissions and disk, then boot up with your hardware test disk to make sure you don't have a motherboard problem.

Back up all your data somewhere else as soon as you can before getting to far into this.

Let us know how things go.

I can't do any of that, because the hard drive isn't recognized by anything. Disk Utility doesn't see the hard drive. I think I'm going to have to take it to an apple technician, pay him $25 just for him to tell me I need a new hard drive.

yes, several times. I tried it after the first time I used the "how-to" and it said there was no problem. I just tried it again for maybe the fifth time, and it says mass storage error.

Back