Boot up disc name change - Some applications wont launch

amanda UK

Registered
Running 10.5.8 on an old 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon and Quark 7 and Photoshop and Illustrator CS3 wont launch from the tool bar. Strangely an older version of Photoshop V8 and an older version of Illustrator CS will launch.

I noted on boot up my mac now says at log in Mandys computer(2), it always used to just say Mandys computer with no number.

I have tried running disc permissions several times, run disc warrior, deleted permissions for quark and photoshop. Deleted com.apple.launcServices-0230.csstore permissions, nothing. They just wont launch.

Permissions did have some unrepairable permissions, attached - I hope.

Being not at all technical and trying to look at what has changed, it looks like the (2) version of my computer is restricting boot up of newer applications. But, I don't know how to get the normal unnumbered version of my computer back, and what the heck I did in the first place to lose it.

Hope that stream of thought makes sense to some one some where, thankyou.

Hi Mandy.
I know that the network name of computers can get changed/incremented sometimes for various reasons (booting off a cloned drive sometimes causes it).
This can often be remedied by ensuring the correct name is specified in the Sharing System Preference Pane (in OSX 10.6.x – might be elsewhere in 10.5). Some applications might use this network name/identifier as part of their registration information, so if it stops matching they could crash.
This network name issue may not be the cause, but it's worth trying.

Back