Bootable dmg made in OS X, Burn on PC?

tionik06

Registered
I've done it this time. My imac needs help! My friend sent me a dmg image of a rescue disc but i have no burner on my imac. I only have a burner on my PCs. He made the image using disc utility in OS X. The cds i burnt in both Transmac and Nero(renamed .dmg to .iso) couldnt be booted from! My friend lives out of state and i dont know any mac users here. how do i burn a bootable os x disc utility image on a PC ?

Your friend may have made a non-bootable image of the CD. Consider this: what you want is called a disk master. Its extension is .cdr and is equivalent to .iso. Ordinary disk images (copy.dmg) can be converted to disk masters (copy.cdr), but they are not the same. The second thing is that your friend did not necessarily give you a complete CD. When you bring up a CD in Disk Utilities, you will see a hierarchy of CD icons. The first is the drive itself. The second is something generic like Session 1. The third is the name of the CD. You need to copy of the generic partition, not the one with the name of the CD. A CD burned from the latter will look perfect when you mount it, but it cannot boot.

Oh that certainly explains it. I will ask my friend if he can send a .cdr if i cant get this one working. He sent me another version of the same image but this time in .toast format. I'm not even gonna attempt to burn it unless i know it can be done. Can .toast be burned on a pc? and if so, will it be like a disk master you were talking about? bootable and all?

Back