Bootcamp Beta after 31st of december??

kebosma

Registered
I'm using Bootcamp Beta to run windows XP on my mac.

I received a mail that Bootcamp Beta will expire after the 31st of december and no updates will be made available for Bootcamp Beta by Apple.

Does this mean that I am not able to start windows anymore after the 31st of december? Or is it just that Apple will not update Bootcamp Beta anymore?

I already saw just after the launch of Leopard that the program itself on my mac (Bootcamp assistant), was expired and I could not opened it anymore.

Does anybody know what will happen?

Based on what i heard, you still able to use XP, but the Boot Camp Assistant will be disabled after Dec 31th. Boot Camp Assistant being disabled will not affect your Xp Partition, it already been partitioned. There is no way for Boot Camp to merge it back to OSX since it already disabled after 31th. correct me if im wrong

Which mean you cannot repartition Window, or merge it back together with OSX, cannot use the updates. As long you leave the Xp partition alone, you be fine.

But one question which bother me, i remember back in Sept or Oct, Apple said about if Tiger user rather to stay in Tiger, they will sell Boot Camp to Tiger user for $10 or something. So far, i havent see anyone comment on that which make me believe that Apple is not going to sell Boot Camp for Tiger user?

Yeah, I remember Apple saying something like that as well. They were supposed to sell it to Tiger users for about 30 bucks or so. To date, I have not seen anything from Apple. Maybe by MacWorld?

Yeah, I remember Apple saying something like that as well. They were supposed to sell it to Tiger users for about 30 bucks or so. To date, I have not seen anything from Apple. Maybe by MacWorld?

i check the boot camp webpage to see anything, but there nothing that say to buy it.

Since leopard is out, can ask apple on the phone if this is possible

The thing is you need the bootcamp assistant to boot into Windows, right? What if they disabled that too?

That's the danger of using beta software. They get disabled after a while since they usually have some timer code written in.

I'm not totally sure about this, but boot camp assistant really does nothing except for partition your hard drive. So as long as you've already installed Windows you will be fine.

I'm not totally sure about this, but boot camp assistant really does nothing except for partition your hard drive. So as long as you've already installed Windows you will be fine.

that what i thought as well. it just partition a non-HFS on the hard drive.

i doubt if Boot Camp Assistant got disabled will effect the partition since you need the permission to allow it to happen. i have two account on this macbook, one a admin account, other is standard (limited) account. so i am using standard account.

Unless if you in admin account while open the disabled Boot Camp Assistant.... oh dear..... it will do it automatically.

But i dont think that Apple want this to happen. they dont want to get cranky people sending them a angry emails asking why this is happening. im sure they will leave the partition alone.

But hey... anything can happen *knock on wood*

BootCamp Assistant will be disabled. You can, however, turn the date on your computer back and still use the software.

Your Windows XP partition will _not_ be disabled, regardless of whether you've created it before or after 2007-12-31.

But: Apple never promised it would work after Leopard was released. From their instructions it has always been clear that for BootCamp, you'd want to upgrade to Leopard.

So, I still can use Windows after the 1st of januari 2008?

That's great, I only use it to update the police traffic checks on my TomTom navigation system, since there's nothing available for OSX, and I don't want to run Windows in some kind of emulation program under OSX.

Well, I will buy Leopard anyway, but I still want to wait, since my mac is running so well...

Since bootcamp beta will expire after the 31st is there anywhere i can download it and get XP installed before the assistant expires? I noticed the download is gone off the main apple sire, but is it available anywhere else? This would be great as I can't really afford to just throw 80 bucks at parallels right now.

Bootcamp assistant is already disabled, from the exact moment Leopard was launched.

If you'd be able to find the download somewhere (I still have it by the way), I really doubt whether you can use it.

I don't know whether there are possibilities on MacOsx.com to share freeware downloads, but if so, I have the download.

Found the download, downloaded it, and no it didn't work, thank you for your offer though. Looks like I'm just gonna have to fork over 80 bucks, damn.

Or get Fusion rather :)

I've spent a few hours looking at the code of Boot Camp to bypass the time limit. Nothing that I could find without wasting weeks of work time (or too busy and not paid to do that deep code analysis for it..) ...

Which is what I was saying I'd have to fork over 80 dollars for...

Edit: ha, my bad, i was talking about parallels earlier. So judging from what everyones been saying on this site....vmware fusion over parallels?

For Parallels and Fusion? Seriously? Just get it online for the price mentioned on their site...?

Back