Bootcamp help

I have the same problem you do with Bootcamp. I don't think it has anything to do with disk space. The "Can't Move" error is because the Boot Camp assistant has to create a new partition on your drive, and where it wants to write partition data to has data in it. So, BootCamp then tries to move the data (file) to another sector/cluster on the drive, but can't for some reason. My guess is that there is a process running that has a lock on a file that the Boot Camp assistant wants to move. Make sure that you have absolutely no apps running, and that your menubar has no apps running in it. (Like MenuMeters, or Gmail Notifier, etc...)

You might want to start in safe mode to make sure you're only running the basics:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393

Ok, Im going to reformat my drive with disk utility, i am backing everything up. is there anthing anyone should warn me about. like what happens when i reformat it, it just goes back to the way it was when i bought it? what is going to happen. thanks

When you reformat it, the drive will be completely blank, so backup everything that you'll need.

You'll need an OS X install disk to format it, and to re-install.

I'm experiencing the same problem. I wonder, if reformating the HDD will definitely help. It would be a pity to do it for nothing. And is it necessary to follow the instructions of BootCamp and reformat it with DiscUtility before reinstaling Mac OS ar can I instal it right away?

I had this very problem. The solution is to do a full defrag of your hard drive before running Boot Camp. This will move all of your files on your hard drive into one cluster and make space for the new partition. I bought idisk and Coriolis CDMaker to create a bootable disk from which to run the defrag.

Back