Bootcamp on MacBook--internet OK on OSX not on XP

SLCsteve

Registered
Hello everyone,

I've seen this issue mentioned before, but I haven't been able to find an answer.
I am running bootcamp on a MacBook. I can log on to the internet in OSX but not in XP.
In XP my computer detects the connection and even logs on at times, but I cannot access the internet.

I have loaded and reloaded the Mac Drivers, I have tried to repair the connection, and I have had the IT Help guys at the college I attend try and fix the issue, to no avail.

I can hook it up via ethernet and it works.

I am really under the gun to get this up and running, and any help you could offer would be great.

steve

Have you tried turning off your wireless access point's encryption and see if it works wide-open? That'll help pinpoint what's going on.

Edit: Not 100% sure on the MacBook - but i know the MacBook pro can get different drivers and have similar issues - if you use the Atheros drivers that Windows thinks you should have, it'll do this - once you replace them with the original XP BootCamp drivers it works. Once again, I am not sure if this extends to the Macbook as well.

I just tried turning off encryption--no dice. I was still unable to connect with the MacBook.

I have two laptops side by side here, both running XP, and both configured the same or similar from what I can tell. The old one is working, and the new MacBook is not.

Thanks for your help--what next?

Edit: Not 100% sure on the MacBook - but i know the MacBook pro can get different drivers and have similar issues - if you use the Atheros drivers that Windows thinks you should have, it'll do this - once you replace them with the original XP BootCamp drivers it works. Once again, I am not sure if this extends to the Macbook as well.

Thanks--how do I replace the drivers with the original XP BootCamp drivers?

I have burned the CD via BootCamp and loaded those drivers--in fact, the Atheros driver is one of those for which you get a dialog box that says that the driver has not passed the Windows Logo thing, and I hit "continue installation anyway."

How else can I replace the driver with the correct one?

First off, I want to you to note that I'm not saying the driver is necessarily wrong or bad. This was with a MacBook Pro, not a MacBook - and come to think of it - I think it was Vista :p .. but its still a possibility... lets check..

Go into Device Manager on the Macbook - What things have a yellow exclamation point / question mark next to them?

EDIT: PS, the drivers from the bootcamp CD should work fine. THOSE are the good drivers.

Thanks.

The only yellow question mark is under "Other Devices" next to "PCI Device."

All of the devices under "Network Adapters" are fine--no yellow.

Go into Wireless Properties - where it says preferred networks. Remove all the profiles listed in that box, then try reconnecting again. If still no, remove wireless connection and reconfigure.

EDIT: I am assuming you are SEEING the wireless connection, and can connect to it - just can't surf.

I removed the profiles and tried to connect--no dice.

I don't quite know what you mean when you say "remove wireless connection and reconfigure."

You are correct--I can see the wireless connection, I can connect to it, but I just can't surf.

First off - I am assuming a few things... lets not proceed unless I am correct at assuming:
* You are running XP SP2
* You are using the built in Windows Wireless Utility (Zero Conf Util)
* You don't have any security software or wireless intrusion software installed (ie. Symantec Security Center, McAfee, etc etc)

Great, we can proceed. You can try these two things. The first is what I meant by 'remove wireless connection and reconfigure'. The second is more a 'catch-all fix'

Remove wireless connection means to remove and reinstall the driver essentially. In Network Connections, if memory serves, you can delete the wireless connection, then reboot and redetect devices. If my memory is failing (grin) then remove it from device manager and reinstall.

If *THAT* fails then click on start, run, and type 'cmd' and click OK.
At the command prompt enter these commands:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset catalog

The first one is going to reset the TCP/IP stack's registry settings. The second one is going to blow away the winsocks and reset the LSP entry catalogs. I've used this fix to resolve issues where you can't view available wireless networks - your mileage may vary - can't hurt to try.

EDIT: Restart your computer after deleting wireless device, or after those two commands.

I tried both suggestions, to no avail.

Deleting and then reinstalling the Atheros network adapter didn't work, nor did resetting the TCP/IP stack's registry settings and blowing away the winsocks.

As it stands, Network Connections tells me that I am connected, I can ping, but I can't open a webpage.

Back