BootCamp --> Parallels

Apokarteron

Registered
I installed WinXP under a partition created with BootCamp 1.02, is there a way to use Parallels or VMWare or any other program to to run WinXP at the same time as Mac OS X without creating a "Virtual Machine" and just using the partition created with BootCamp?

I don't believe so. VMWare has a product that can take a ghost image and convert it to a VMware image but it is an enterprise product.

The problem is that you are trying to take a "real" image and convert it to a "virtual" image.

I installed WinXP under a partition created with BootCamp 1.02, is there a way to use Parallels or VMWare or any other program to to run WinXP at the same time as Mac OS X without creating a "Virtual Machine" and just using the partition created with BootCamp?

I was attempting to do this myself a-la VMware, but no. Right now, neither Parallels or the open source Q emulator can use a physical disk or partition that has a Windows installation. I think, however, that when VMware for the Mac comes out officially it might have that feature.

Parallels, in their forums, said they were working on a solution for that. Would be nice. I guess one of the problems is that Windows suddenly sees completely different hardware and wants to be reactivated.

wait til osx 10.5 comes out. you will be able to run 3 OS's at a time. ie Linux, OSX, Win, with just the hit of a button and switch between them. Like fast user switching.

Atleast thats what the reviews of Leopard are saying...I CANT WAIT!!!!

wait til osx 10.5 comes out. you will be able to run 3 OS's at a time. ie Linux, OSX, Win, with just the hit of a button and switch between them. Like fast user switching.

Atleast thats what the reviews of Leopard are saying...I CANT WAIT!!!!

Well, this is assuming you're running an Intel Mac. For those of us using PPC Macs, it's still basically the old way of doing things: Q or VirtualPC. I don't know if Parallels will run on PPC Macs (couldn't tell from their hardware requirements...I'm assuming an x86 CPU since they require a CPU that supports the PII instruction set).

Or, you could dual boot using Mac OS X and Linux/ppc, as I am now. :p

Back