Bootdrive is full

pishnaris

Registered
Greetings all,

I'm interested in either creating a new boot drive, or transferring apps on my current boot drive to one of my much larger secondary drives. The situation is like this; my current boot drive is a 40GB drive, but I have an 80 GB drive, and a RAID 240 GB internal config, as well as an external 200 GB firewire drive. Plenty of drive space, right? Except that I've filled the internal boot drive, and things are mighty sluggish.

I have Carbon Copy Cloner, and tried copying the boot drive to the external firewire drive, but it didn't work. It appeared the files were cloned alright, but the system won't boot from that drive.

My solution has to be duplicating the boot drive and directing the boot process to that drive, or carrying the major apps over to a new boot drive so that they'll execute. I'd like to make it as easy as possible.

Thoughts and directions gratefully appreciated :(

Pish

Once you cloned the drive, did you delete the original? If not then the system will probably boot up from the first one it finds. Also, try holding option down when you start up, you'll get the firmware menu letting you select which boot drive to use. Note this isn't permanent, its just for that session

Thank you for the suggestion, but even selecting the external firewire drive from Preferences, (which does the same thing that you suggested) won't allow the system to boot.

The process starts, but then a little kernel type message appears during the boot process (upper left corner of the boot screen...all black with white text), which says:

/etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory sh-2.05a#

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Pish

Back