Booting from a dmg OR maybe from a home network?

norrina

Registered
My quandry is thus.

I am the not proud but rather quite frustrated owner of an iBook with a broken CD drive. I am also the owner of a DMG file. Normally, of course, this file would be burned to a CD and thencely secured in the computer's CD drive for no-fuss no-muss bootup. Alas, with my CD drive suffering full impairement, I have been unable to complete this last step of installation.

Soooo... I need to either boot directly from the file, boot over my home network (which is networked with a PC), or do something entirely different that I don't know about.

Does anyone have suggestions?

'Soooo... I need to either boot directly from the file,', which you cannot do, 'boot over my home network (which is networked with a PC),', which you cannot do, 'or do something entirely different that I don't know about.', such as connect an external Firewire CD player / burner; or, replace the (unknown model) iBook's CD drive - with another, a CD burner, or DVD burner.

Blech. It is an older iBook, G3. I upgraded my brother to a G4 and took this, because I don't really need anything fancier. I have since found though, that I can't do diddly with it, because everything boots from a flippin' CD. I haven't found a CD drive on apple's website yet either. :-(

Back