Booting from CD woes

Nosh

Registered
On a Powerbook 17", I've been having problems booting from some CDs. The system restore/hardware test DVD that it came with boots just fine, but I can't get either of my Diskwarrior or TechTool Deluxe CDs to boot. I have not got any other bootable CDs, but I would like to run one of the utilities. Is it possible to make a generic OS X bootable disc, CD-R or DVD-R, and drag over my installed copy of one of the utilities? I cant run them from the hard disk when I boot from it.

Nosh

You need to to this booted into OS9 (not "Classic" in OSX).

1. Launch Toast Deluxe.

2. You're going to make a "Data" CD but it MUST be MacOS, NOT "MacOS Extended" so use the popup menu to select it.

3. Click the New CD button and rename the "Untitled CD" to whatever you want.

4. Drag your OS9 System folder to the Toast Window.

5. Open the System Folder (that's in the Toast window!) and delete the three files that begin with "Classic".

6. Burn this as a "session".

This will boot your Mac. Use Toast to copy the Disk Warrior CD to a second session on this boot CD.

You're done.

Good luck,
Barry

But I can't boot to OS9, It's disabled on all new macs built after January 2003. If there's a secret, I'd need to know.

Nosh

D-oh! I didn't read your question fully. You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable CD. Search for it on versiontracker.com.

Regards,
Barry

Originally posted by Nosh
But I can't boot to OS9, It's disabled on all new macs built after January 2003. If there's a secret, I'd need to know.

Nosh

when i couldn't boot my 17" from my drive 10 cd, I was sent the following from micromat:

"Your 17" PB came out after the Drive 10 v1.1.2 CD and the CD does not
contain the newer Mac OS components needed to boot it. The current Drive 10
CDs will boot it.

We suggest updating to Drive 10 v1.1.4. It is fully compatible with OS X
10.2.6. You can download a free updater to v1.1.4 from the Downloads page at
www.micromat.com. You can then use the free "BootCD" program available at
versiontracker.com to make an updated bootable Drive 10 CD. It comes with
step-by-step instructions. (Note that you will need to run BootCD on the
newer PB to make a CD which will boot it.)"

I went ahead and used boot cd, and it worked fine. a few notes: it takes a long time for the CD to be made. like it says above the CD has to be made on the computer that you want to boot, so you have to do this in advance, and lastly, one cool thing was you can choose what applications you want on the bootable CD, so I was able to put drive 10 on the CD and run it to scan my HD, I would guess you can do the same with TTD

i hope this is of some use.

j

Back