Booting from CD

jareth

Registered
Ever since I upgraded to 10.1.3, I can no longer boot from any valid CD. Whether it's OSX or OS9. Anyone else run into this problem?

Yes, I have had a similar problem, but with 10.1. Even after i upgraded to 10.1.2, it still would not boot from any CD or change the startup disk. The only way I was able to fix this was to physically disconnect the hard drive OS X was installed on, and force the computer to look for another OS on one of the other hard drives. After booting up from OS 9.2, I changed the startup disk to the one with OS 9.2 and reconnected the hard drive with OS X. The next time i restarted it booted up in os 9. Then i changed the startup disk, and everything worked fine, both booting from a CD and switching OSes.

To me, this sounds kinda stupid and odd, but strangely enough, it worked. perhaps some of these steps were not necessary, I just thought i'd do them anyways just in case.

even when you use the system prefs or control panel for startup disk? I use a third party keyboard so shortcuts don't work for me anyway. but using startup disk still works.

Yes, even choosing the Cd through the start disk preference panel would not work, it would read the CD for a few seconds and then boot off the HD. I can boot off other HD's without a problem, it's only Cd's that won't work anymore.

Hi Jareth:)

aside from the usual 1st line defenses - zapping your pram, rebuilding the desktop, repairing, defragmenting and optimizing i am a bit stumped. Perhaps it would help if you posted your mac-chine specs. the more you include, the better.

:confused:

Back