Booting into 9 w/option?

XnetZero

Registered
Seems to me that I was able to select which OS I could boot from if I held down the option button during system boot. Now, when I do so I no longer see my Mac OS 9.2.2 installation. I've recently upgraded to 10.1.3. Did I miss something, because I don't remember reading any thing about losing this ability...

Thanks in advance!

XnetZERO

Do you have OS X and OS 9 installed on the same partition? If so, you can't use the startup manager to select operating systems.

It's always done this. You have never been able to select a different operating system if you've installed OS 9 and OS X on the same partition.

Supposedly, though, if you hold the key 'X' at startup, your comp will start up in OS X, and if you hold the key '9' down, it will startup in OS 9. The 'X' key feature is documented from Apple -- I heard the '9' key feature somewhere but I dunno if it actually works.

Originally posted by simX
It's always done this. You have never been able to select a different operating system if you've installed OS 9 and OS X on the same partition.

Supposedly, though, if you hold the key 'X' at startup, your comp will start up in OS X, and if you hold the key '9' down, it will startup in OS 9. The 'X' key feature is documented from Apple -- I heard the '9' key feature somewhere but I dunno if it actually works.

Yes, the Startup Manager has always only let you choose which Volume (or partition) to boot into. Never System Folders on the same volume.
The X key seems to work on only some systems (Works on my Quicksilver and TiBook, not a Cube or my iMac). It only works if 9 was the last OS which was booted. Never had the 9 key work to boot into 9… ever… on any system.

Back