Bootmanagers for the Mac

SvMp

Registered
On my I-Mac I run OS X, OS 9 and I also want to install Linux and OpenBSD.

When I want another operatingsystem, I have to select a different bootdisk or start Linux with a Linux loader.

I have some PC\'s too. For them I\'ve written a small program that let me choose an OS directly after booting a machine, and then boots the OS I selected from the menu.
I don\'t have technical knowledge enough to make something for my macs so my question is: Does someone know a good bootmanager for the Macintosh?
I have different Macs (old world Powermac, new world I-Mac, some old 68k). They all can run different systems, so I\'m looking for a bootmanager for every kind of Macintosh computers.

[Edited by SvMp on 01-05-2001 at 10:41 AM]

Which Linux distribution are you using? Linux PPC comes with a gui for bootp, this shouldn\'t be an issue. It will let you switch between whichever LinuxPPC/MkLinux, and Classic OS, and the option key will let you switch between classic and X. I dont know about OpenBSD, but there has to be something if it runs on the platform.

Every OS that I have seen run on a Mac also has some kind of System Folder, on each bootable partition. I haven\'t tried this, but wouldn\'t the option key trick at startup work for all OS\' then? (After they are all properly installed, and the system folders have been \"blessed\" hold down the option key after you hear the startup sound.) This is how I switch from OSX to Classic on startup, but I haven\'t done it the other way. I only have dedicated linux boxes (mk and ppc), so I haven\'t done it on them either. I think it will work though.

One question.....why on earth do you need four operating systems on one computer, especially on one hard disk? You\'ll need to do some serious partitioning each time you change your mind. And knowing that you are putting four operating systems on one computer makes me think you will change your mind within a couple months (because you don\'t know which you like....now).

I\'d suggest putting LinuxPPC and Classic on your old world powermac; put MKLinux on one of your old 68K\'s, OpenBSD on another (if it is supported-otherwise oldworld powermac as well). And staying put with OSX and Classic on your iMac.

I think you should look more at the installations of the operating systems you are installing as well. A Linux installation is not like OSX. Its not double click and away you go. Though the installations are much better now, you will need to do a different partitioning scheme than you may be used to (not just initializing and choosing UFS/LinuxPPC or something).

You will get all your answers when you read the installation documentation for the operating systems.

The option-key at startup only works on the newest computers (the dual processor G4s, the newest iMacs, etc) though it may be available through a firmware update. Also the option-key trick works when switching from X to 9 but not 9 top X.

Im sure that someone can edit one of the graphical bootmanagers from Linux so that it will work w/ OS X as well rather easily but Im not positive about that. Try writing an e-mail to author and asking him/her about it.

NOTE: no punctuation due to message board errors :),

Originally posted by anothermacguy
Which Linux distribution are you using? Linux PPC comes with a gui for bootp, this shouldn\\\\\\\'t be an issue. It will let you switch between whichever LinuxPPC/MkLinux, and Classic OS, and the option key will let you switch between classic and X. I dont know about OpenBSD, but there has to be something if it runs on the platform.
Yes..I have that bootX installed. You talking about bootp?
But I can\\\'t make OS 9 the default OS with bootX, it boots Linux by default and I want OS 9 by default..

Originally posted by anothermacguy

One question.....why on earth do you need four operating systems on one computer, especially on one hard disk? You\\\\\\\'ll need to do some serious partitioning each time you change your mind. And knowing that you are putting four operating systems on one computer makes me think you will change your mind within a couple months (because you don\\\\\\\'t know which you like....now).

I am an operatingsystems-freak. But living in a small room (student). So I can\\\'t have a computer for each operatingsystem I have.
On one of my PC\\\'s (my OS-collection) I run: Windows NT, DOS+Win3.11, BeOS, QNX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Linux and OS/2. And I believe there are much more OS-es I can put on it..
I have also a couple of Macs. But they always run one OS (Until I installed X on my I-mac). My slogan: Every computer running 1 OS but able to run X OS-es is only 1/X used.

Back