Both a PPC and an Intel processor in one Mac

nim009

Registered
Is this remotely possible?

I was wondering, cuz then you could use any mac app, regardless of whether or not it is a universal binary,
But I mean, would osX even be able to function like that, or what?

I know some things about computers, but not so much about the ways app's function on different architechtures, could someone please give me this interesting piece of knowledge?

nim009 said:
Is this remotely possible?

I was wondering, cuz then you could use any mac app, regardless of whether or not it is a universal binary,
But I mean, would osX even be able to function like that, or what?

I know some things about computers, but not so much about the ways app's function on different architechtures, could someone please give me this interesting piece of knowledge?

It's possible. The most straightforward way would be to use an Intel based computer as a host and communicate with the PPC processor via the PCI bus.
I can't imagine Apple spending development resources on that, however.

Some Quadras (early 90s Macs) came with an optional DOS card. It was basically an x86 processor on an interface card to allow running DOS programs on the Mac.

In addition to the Apple-provided x86-compatibility card provided by Apple, there was also at least one third-party solution. FWB, the company that later purchased the SoftWindows/SoftPC/RealPC family of emulators, sold an x86-compatibility card. It was compatible with the SoftWindows disk image.

Back