BOTH my drives failed SMART tests

angryswede

Registered
what would be the cause?
for a week or two, i noticed my backup drive (hitachi 250gig SATA) wouldn't show up on the menu. i didn't too much of it because I had mymain drive still, and the synchronize pro synchs were still working fine.

yesterday, one of the files on my main drive wasn't opening, saying it was corrupted (illustrator cs file). the backup drive's file didn't work either. I thought it was illustrator, re-installed the whole CS package, with no luck. I opened disk tools and it said that the backup drive was failing. crap, but no biggie because i have 2 other 250gig SATA drives I could use (OG maxtor + a WD).

so, today, i install the WD in place of the hitachi and go about getting ready to do the backup. i opened disk tools and it said the main (seagate 300) was failing. I ran techtools pro and it said everything was fine but the SMART checks failing on the seagate (didn't check the hitachi).

i've never had problems like this in the past, in 10+ years of heavy mac use, 20 years of having a mac. on new years eve, the 250 gig drive my G5 dual 2ghz came with died. in mid-february, I brought my G5 in because it was constantly crashing. they couldn't find the problem and replaced it. it's getting frustrating to say the least.

sounds strange that 2 different drives failed in a matter of day, no? what do you guys think? what should I do?

Back