Bought an Album

Originally posted by powermac
Macslash readers are being tough. Lets not forgot, it has been out on day!
You're right. I had a look on MacSlash and a lot of the posts are heinous. I wish people would actually try and think before they post. Luckily, most of the discussions on here that I've seen are much more reasonable :)

The first hour was buggy, but what to expect. So far, it's been a good service. And lots of people at work were discussing it, though there's plenty of Mac folk in m industry.
The good thing is you can see that it's still going to grow. I did a search for Lincoln Jazz Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis. They're on a compilation album, but when i hit the group name, I was taken to the discography pages. It was blank, but I don't think it would be created unless something will added at some time.

If you think of today as a beta of iTunes Music Store, I think it passses despite what the trolls rant about. Now. Has anyone heard about any perks for .Mac members? :eek:

Originally posted by evildan
This is a crazy question, but one worth asking.

If I buy a song, burn it to a CD, can't I take that CD and re-rip it back as an mp3 and distribute it?

Maybe I'm wrong, but the loop-hole to this seems quite obvious, if that's the case.

Yup, you can do this if you want, only one problem... The mp3 you rip will sound terrible. Because mp3 and acc are "lossy" formats (they throw away bits of data that you won't notice in compression) the quality is not as good. When you burn a mp3 or acc to CD it sounds fine as it basically made a new cd track of the exact quality you heard from the mp3/acc. The problem comes in when you go to rip that track again, when the compression algorithms are run on the track because there were already parts removed from the first rip, it starts killing things it shouldn't, and the quality deteriorates quickly. If you like listening to really bad mp3's, go right ahead :)

Brian

Originally posted by monktus
That's strange, I've never heard of CDs like that before, it must be specific to Germany or thereabouts.

Dunno when music store will be available outside the US. Someone mentioned May 9th but also thought that it might just be for the new iPods getting released.

These CD's are becoming more common. Basically what they figured out was if they break the redbook (standard audio cd) format. They stuck in errors into the data which most standard audio cd players ignore and keep playing on, but computer cd drivers use yellow and orange book formats which are much more precise. So, they start throwing errors at the computer cd drive, and the drive can't handle it and basically freezes up. If you've ever tried to use a pretty scratched cd in a computer and it wouldn't play, but worked fine in your audio cdplayer, it's the same type of thing.

Brian

Originally posted by wtmcgee
when i try to add a credit card to the apple music store, i keep getting an error, "The Music Store could not process your request. Please try again later."

i've tried 3 times now, over the past few hours, to no avail.

I did the same thing... only to find that I am an idiot.
If you look at the original login screen (you know, the one you flew through in a rush to get back to the music), you will see that you have to add your .mac email address! So instead of your standard .mac login you would enter name@mac.com.

Try that and you will be stylin!

What if there's a track that's 5 seconds long inbetween a song that goes like Mah! Is it still 99¢???

I'm not a lawyer, so my comments are based on some very lazy research and gleeming of information of the last few years.

Classical Music:
The music itself is publicly available, but the performances are not. A recording of the London Symphony versus the New York Philharmoic are two different rights.

Likewise, two indistinguishable photographs of the Mona Lisa may have different copyrights if photographed by two different photographers.

Originally posted by Androo
What if there's a track that's 5 seconds long inbetween a song that goes like Mah! Is it still 99¢???
Then ask yourself this question:

Do you really need this filler track? If it's only a few seconds long, how can it add anything significant to the album as a whole? And who in their right mind would put 5 seconds of "continuation" of the last song between their songs? I'm thinking of stuff like Mudvayne's L.D. 50, with its sound effects leading into the next track, and its ilk; however, I have never heard an album that has filler like that which is essential to the piece as a whole.

Chances are they'd release something like that attached to the song it's part of, as they did with Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall Pt. II;" the first part, before he says "We don't need no education," is actually a song called "The Happiest Days of Our Lives," but they are joined as one for the single.

Back