Brand new macbook is booting very slow

kebosma

Registered
I haven't used my new macbook for a couple of weeks.

Now I'm using it again and it seems that it boots very, very slow, especially compared to my Imac, despite of the fact that there is no difference between them wrt hardware (speed, memory, etc.).

Does anybody know what can be wrong here? I already looked into all programs that it starts during login, nothing there.

It looks already during first startup when the apple logo is there, it waits a long time before the round turning busy symbol pops up, bit strange...

You may want to try running some "maintenance" programs, along with a disk check. Open up Disk Utility, and run a disk/permissions check. Some good maintenance programs are: Maintenance, Onyx or Applejack.

OnyX does miracles.

Are there any giant log files?

If you check activity monitor (or top -u) what takes usually most processes when it feels slow? What's the uptime then, and what processes are running?

I tried Mainmenu, which is also a maintenance program, and now my Imac and macbook are booting like a fighter jet again.... smokin.... :D

I thought no maintenance was necessary with OSX, but I cleaned all caches and that did the job

Does anybody have same kind of experiences with OSX?

Still lovin it of course since the difference was 1 minute booting time compared to 5 mins for windows, hehehe :D

Anyway, both my Imac and macbook are booting within 30 secs again, also starting mail and my calendar!

Which of the programs listed above is most preffered?

OS X doesn't require nearly the amount of upkeep that windows does, but there are still some things that can be done - caches build up, launch items get changed, permissions become corrupted. "Maintenance" (the program) has been working well for me. It's basically a simplified Onyx.

Back