Brand new to macs, looking for advice on which OS to use ...

loveberry

Registered
I have almost no experience with macs. I am a graphic design major and I have a 733 G4 on order. As I understand it, OS 9 and OS X come installed. I am looking for advice on which OS would be best to use. What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

Unless you need broad hardware support, there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't use OSX most of the time (RAM permitting), with the understanding you'll be spending most of your 'work time' in Classic until major apps are Carbonized.

I run a design business, and turned everyone over to OSX 2 months ago (albeit only 3 macs). If you have enough RAM then running in Classic mode is fine.

But, you should have a degree of knowledge in order to optimise the systems performance with Classic.

Since your new to the wonders of Mac, I would suggest using OS9 for your serious work, I try and use OSX during your more relaxing moments.

Is it really simple to switch between the two? Is it like Win98 where you can reboot in DOS mode, or run a DOS shell (which I guess would be analagous to running Classic)?

Thanks for all the information!

Ya, you just open System Disk or System Prefs (depending on what you're switching from) and select whichever system you want to use.

Back