brand of RAM in 17pb?

quiksan

awesomer...
does anyone know the brand of the DIMMs that COME in the 17" powerbooks? (I've got the original, not the newly updated version)

*OR* does anyone know which location that 1st chip would be in?

I upgraded my ram when I first got my pb, but now I suspect it's causing the many kernel panics I've been getting.
Problem is, I can't remember which one is the added one, and which came with it.

HELP!
thanks

Both Chips are in the same port. Both are visible when you take the back plate off. As for Brand, anybody's guess. Apple doesn't identify their RAM source.

I had that same problem. Run your Hardware Test Disk. It will tell you if you have bad RAM. But I will not tell you which one is bad. You have to guess at that. Mine exhibited the same problem about a month after delivery. The Apple Chip was the bad Chip. I got lucky on the first try. The one from OWC was good. Should still be under warrenty but having to go to a service center and wait is a pain.

I've actually experienced solving a bad RAM problem by simply changing the position of the chips (switching places). Cured my Quicksilver back in its day...

thank you for the responses!

Man, I'd love it if switching the slots they are in will help!
thanks again
quik

Back