broadband internet connection

avg joe

Registered
I have been having alot of trouble with Sprint Broadband, (high packet loss, slow download speed) and have had several of their techs out to check to see if they can find the problem. After seven attempts, they sent out their system engineer to see if he could help. After tuning the antenna and changing frequencies, they ran tests to the system on their laptop running Windows NT. Their speed tests were coming back higher than I can get under Mac OSX. I connected to the system an sure enough, they wererunning faster than I was. The engineer told me that on windows systems they can tweak the MTU t 1496, and the RWIN as high as possible. He said that if I could tweak these same settings in MacOS it might help increase my speeds. I don't know enough to know if this would help, is necessary, or even possible. If any one could give me some insight into this I would appreciate it.

** Update** I checked my TCP/IP settings with a checker at speedguide.net and it says that my MTU is optimized for broadband, but recommended that I increase my RWIN value. I guess I need to know if thats possible under OSX. I know it takes a registry edit in the windows world.

There is an app called broadband optimizer available from www.versiontracker.com in their OS X section. All it does is use a shell script to tweak your settings at bootup time. The commands in the script can be tweaked at any time via the command line. In general freebsd networking should be very similar to OS X and thus many things you find on the net about BSD should apply to OS X too.

Y

Back