Broadband is fast on Windows? WHY?

Not flamebait at all. It was a very good reply. Thanks. And though I said what I did, and stand by it, notice where I am, and recently what platform I went over to for home use. OS X. :) It really is a wonderful OS with lots of potential, and I am excited to see where Apple goes with it. Though there are some Mac things that still seriously piss me off about it, I would consider switching from NT to OS X as my main machine at work, but some things I simply need NT for, since I am basically the System Administrator and IT dept. One big stopper for me is the terminal.app. I need something more robust than it I think before I could switch like that in a professional environment.

I would consider switching from NT to OS X as my main machine at work, but some things I simply need NT for, since I am basically the System Administrator and IT dept. One big stopper for me is the terminal.app. I need something more robust than it I think before I could switch like that in a professional environment.
which raises an issue that has little to do with broadband - is the standard by which the mac should be judged the ablity to be a professional computer? I suppose it depends on the profession. Probably the bigest boost for M$ was excel, and then the integration of apps into office. because these add so much to the computer's use in plain old accounting and day to day business operation, the pc was easily the work computer. And since most people have learned to use a computer thru their work, it follows they will buy what they know. which is sad, because the mac has always been the better personal home computer in my opinion. It was so damned easy to use and it kicked ass graphically. But M$ saw this and worked their ass off to replicate everyting truly outstanding about it. I could go on with this, but you should all know the story by now. Back to the point - why can't mac just be the best user experience a computer can provide without having to be good at supporting a corporation? What's the real short coming to letting pc's handle the grunt work, and let macs have all the fun stuff? (other than that old buy what you know clause). If more It's let it be known that they mangae pc's at work, but use mac for themselves, the big picture would probably change dramatically. Particularly if the It's make it easy to exchange work across the 2 platforms when neccessary. It has long been a mystery to my pc friends that i can read and write in their platforms, but they can't in mine. apple has long worked at good interfacing, M$ has always said 'our way or the highway'. I decided a long time ago, the highway is better.

When developers simply spend as much time creating equivilent apps for mac os, then all the differences will even out.

another 2 cents worth

Originally posted by scruffy
IE in Windows has home turf advantage. MS has access to all the APIs they don't give others (eg. Netscape). It's practically the figurehead for their OS.

On OS X, it's an afterthought. It's a Carbon app, which slows things down some already, and it's the sort of software any other company would be calling beta, if not alpha.

That explains the constant beachballs when I click back into IE, the fact that sometimes I click an IE window and it moves so its title bar is directly under my mouse, and the fact that IE keeps bringing up a right-click menu when I'm not using a modifier. The apps I'm having trouble with so far (processor hogs, etc) are:

IE
AIM Beta
iTunes (It rips faster when minimised, which is just WRONG)

IIRC all three of these are Carbon and not cocoa.

Originally posted by Admin
And while I am ranting... WHY did Apple decide to develop their own Mail program? Okay, we have mail programs that have been developed for many years... that work well (uhh, another Microsoft product, Outlook Express) and what does apple do? Oh, lets give people a new release of a new software product. I realize Apple has don this because no mail app was available for OS X when the public beta came out. But frankly, I'm not impressed by mail, and still use Outlook Express in classic mode.

Admin

Actually, Apple's mail program was one of the reasons that I was first interested in the OSX interface. - There are very few email clients for Windows that don't have some sort of fatal flaw. Pegasus: UI stinks. Eudora: Has ads & loses data! Outlook/Outlook Express: Too much overhead & too many security vulnerabilities. Netscape: Loses data & crashes.

Previously I used Eudora, because at the very least, it had spell-check on the fly. (Something in MacMail) and good filtering. But MacMail has everything I need with none of the crap I don't - it's a fully featured program that I could use... and doesn't have a "fatal flaw"

Brian.

Originally posted by anrkngl

That explains the constant beachballs when I click back into IE, the fact that sometimes I click an IE window and it moves so its title bar is directly under my mouse, and the fact that IE keeps bringing up a right-click menu when I'm not using a modifier. The apps I'm having trouble with so far (processor hogs, etc) are:

IE
AIM Beta
iTunes (It rips faster when minimised, which is just WRONG)

IIRC all three of these are Carbon and not cocoa.

Don't make me pull out my tazer... I shock people for complaining solely through ignorance. :D

IE is a Carbon PORT, which is where Carbon looks bad. Carbon apps are just as good as any Cocoa app, and if you really want to get technical, a master programmer can get a Carbon app a bit more efficient/responsive, since they can control the flow a little more closely, but there aren't many of those guys out there. Carbon PORTS such as IE, AIM and iTunes show that they were ported rather than written for OS X.

Also, under OS X, each up is given a timeslice of X to operate in. If iTunes is minimized, less time is used for drawing, and so that remaining timeslice can be used for MP3 encoding. Much different from the OS 9 environ, neh?

anrkngl, use Adium instead of Aim beta, it uses less CPU time and has no ads. It's missing buddy icons and file transfer, but who cards :-/

I use the built in Mail app and I like it much more than OE or Eudora. As far as I know Mail is a carryover from NEXT, and Apple didn't develop it themselves...

Yes, Mail.app was originally MailViewer.app on the NeXT OS (Is it NeXTStep or OpenStep?) and was ported to Rhapsody when they were making that. I have some screenshots I found somewhere. (I forget where, but I'd like to see MORE!) one has the mailViewer.app whose icon is the same as one I found in a Next OS screenshot on a toolbar. (Or did they call it a Dock?)

For interested peoples, I have created a page on my site.
http://www.jasoco.com/lookhere/ss/
Some interesting old stuff there. Enjoy! :D

The screenshots I mentioned above are found on the Rhapsody 03 (Which has the Rhapsody MailViewer.app screenshot) and the NeXT OS (Which contains the icon of MailViewer.app) images.

Originally posted by Admin
What I don't like about alternative browsers is they aren't really alternatives. Meaning, you never know what you might get.

For example, http://www.news.com. Looks just fine in IE, Netscape... almost okay in iCab, but OmniWeb... uhh... what happened to that rendering?

But then you run iCab and more pages than not come out looking wrong... about the ONLY solution is to use IE because you can count on every page coming out the way the person who designed it wanted it to look like, because chances are, they used IE as the test browser.

I hate to see Microsoft win this battle, and yes, they didn't win it playing nice... but still...

Glad someone else got the same numbers I did.

Admin

I donno but the latest encarnation of Mozilla so far seems GREAT! I love it! :)
Ok I better quit while I'm ahead before I get kicked or something! :D

Back