Broken AirPort Antenna?

HateEternal

Mac Metal Head
I've long since given up using my iBook G4 800 MHz because it's soo slow but it seems to work fine for my mom so she's been using it for the last year or so. Recently she complained that the AirPort was no longer connecting. At first I assumed that the router was messed up but my other computer connected to the network fine. I couldn't really figure out what was going on so randomly I tried creating an adhoc network from the iBook and my laptop picked it right up. Initially I assumed that it might be a software issue as the AirPort seemed to work when it was hosting a network. I reinstalled Tiger and the problem persisted. It wasn't until I was at my apartment with the iBook right next to the router that I noticed that I could pick up a signal. This made me think that perhaps it just wasn't getting good reception. I moved about five more feet away and the connection dropped instantly.

So, I have an iBook that only gets reception when a few feet away from the AP. Any clues on how to trouble shoot this problem? I tried re-seating the AirPort card and reconnecting the antenna cable but I'm afraid that the antenna has broken somewhere in the hinge (it runs up next to the screen right?). Am I going to have to take this thing apart or what?

Back