Broken folder icon on 10.1 CD boot

Clarifix

Registered
I know, the first thing people will say is: get your firmware up-to-date.
Well, I get this message saying
"Your PowerBook's firmware is version 4.18f5 and is up-to-date with version 4.1.8 of the PowerBook Firmware Updater."
So I suppose that part is quite OK, although I don't really like the "f5" part.

I'm out of options. Anyone know some tricks to get my PowerBook Bronze to boot from the 130$ OS X 1.1 CD, in order to finally install this OS?
Or should I just throw the damn thing out of the window and buy me a PC notebook :)mad:I'm close to doing so)?

Please help. Thanks.

I've done all that. I wouldn't be able to see the broken folder icon, if the Mac wasn't trying to boot up from the CD, now would I :) .

I tried - as an alternative, mind you - to boot up from my Samsung firewire CD burner - but apparantly my Mac doesn't know that trick yet - although it can boot from a firewire hard disk.

Let me give you all a list of all the things I tried, to avoid having helpful people (txs test user) waste their time:

- file and track copying the CD and borrowing another 10.1 CD from a collegue (wow there's nothing wrong with the CD) -> no difference
- parameter RAM reset -> will still not boot from OS 10.1 CD
- cleaning CD lens -> same result
- copying content of CD to partition of internal HD, and booting from HD.
->:cool: works, but installer will not install (code 32 on the left, partitions greyed out).
- copying content of CD to firewire external disk.
-> Will not boot from firewire disk.
- patching MacOS 10.0 CD (I can boot from that one!) to contain 10.1 installation. Had a first go at it, but attempt resulted in a non-bootable CD.:rolleyes: - will continue with a few more attempts later.

Something worth mentioning: It takes like a FULL minute for the installation prog, or for the "startup disk" control panel to set the boot volume to the CD's system folder. This makes me thing my Mac has already trouble RECOGNIZING the CD as a valid boot medium.
And this makes me think I've picked up an unfinished or wrong firmware update, like a disease. My mac seems diseased because there's no way I can reinforce installing the 4.1.8 firmware update, to make sure I get rid of this strange "4.1.8f5" version - f5 stands for final candidate I think.
Is this "4.1.8f5" a normal firmware release, and has Apple just been a bit lazy and has not removed the f?
Anyone know how to get my firmware (EPROM?) healthy again? - even if that means that some chip needs to be replaced.

I heared a few years ago that a parameter RAM reset with command-option-p-r does not completely clear the PRAM. Some bytes are not cleared.

So I tried to clear the PRAM with TechTool Pro.

And that does it! My PowerBook is currently installing from the CD, I'm writing this message from my other machine in the mean time.

Case closed.:D

As a discussion point, and for my understanding, is what TechTool Pro did analogous to pressing the CUDA button on the newer machines?

As a follow up, is there a CUDA on the TiPB's?

Have you tried to Zap the Open Firmware?
To do it, shut down your Mac, then press Command-Option-O-F as you start it back up. You can release the keys when you see a white screen that says "Welcome to Open Firmware." At the Open Firmware prompt, type "reset-all" (without the quotation marks, of course) and then press Return or Enter.

To exit Open Firmware, type "bye" or "mac-boot" (no quotes).

This tip was mensioned on Dr. Mac's OS X Tip-of-the-Day. Hope it helps.

Good luck.
konrad

delete the Extensions.mkext file (/System/Library) via OS 9, then restart (the file automatically regenerates. This clears the extension cache, wich is designed to shorten startup time (Macaddict August)

Back