Broken Home Directory Paths !

jearley

Registered
Here are the specs I'm working with...
Xserve 1.33 Ghz G4
1gb RAM
1 ATA IBM 172gb hard drive
1 ATA Hitachi 233gb hard drive

I inherited these setups, and I've found they were set up... uniquely. Each hard drive has been partitioned , 20/152gb & 20/213gb. The operating system resides on the first 20gb ("server_hd"), and the data and home directories resides on the 152gb ("home"). The other drive's partitions were meant to be Rsync'd to for backup ("server_hd2", "home2"). Here's the problem, and it's an interesting one...

At some point on wednesday something happened to the "home" directory. I can't pinpoint exactly what happened due to logging being turned off (no idea why.), but what happened after that point was when anyone would log in through AFP, they would have a new home directory that created itself on the "home2" drive. I'm at a loss how this could have happened. Now, only about 70 users (out of a few hundred) logged in and had folders recreated, and the rest of the accounts are still working with the proper "home" partition, so keep that in mind...
I stopped services (AFP), and disk utilitied the "home" partition, and came up with unfixable errors, so I imaged the drive over to a firewire drive to save the user data, repaired that, came back with no errors, so all the data was fine. I then erased the "home" partition, ran disk util again, and it came back error free. I sent the home directories back over off the firewire drive to the "home" partition, reran disk util to be save, came back clean, and tested out some of the accounts... the ones that hadn't logged in and recreate home directories on the wrong partition retained their correct home directory path, but the ones that were recreated on the "home2" partition no longer had home directories. I could mount 2 of the 3 shares, but the ones they accessed & recreated no longer came up. However, the actual home directory folders DO EXIST in the exact same path as they appear in the WGM. I think what happened is that when they recreated the home directory on the other partition, it remapped the user's account somewhere (but not according to WGM!!!) I'm wondering if there's a way to "resource" the WGM accounts, so I can relink them to those home directories. It's a bizarre case, and why they remapped to another partition in the first place completely baffles me. I checked WGM and the path still was going to "home", yet they weren't! I don't know where the actual paths reside (what unix .conf file all the account info is stored), but perhaps going through that I could fix the issue. Any thoughts?

Back