Broken Key - need advice

Peter King

Registered
Two of my keys (P and [) broke off the keyboard of my Powerbook G4. Who do you guys suppose I should contact to try to get replacements?

If the powerbook is less than 90 days warranty there is a chance that you get a new keyboard. Call Apple right now. If apple does not agree to replace the broken keyboard you can go to online store for the broken key caps.

http://www.pbparts.com

Thanks for the advice. The problem is the keys are litterally broken. The p key pops off whenever I hit it. The [ just won't even stay on for a second.

jaeyong- will this be covered under my apple care?

If you have the Apple care for your powerbook you have a better chance to get a new keyboard from Apple. Call Apple care and explain that the broken keys were not your fault(I hope). Be sure to be honest to Apple. Good luck.

It seems like these should be really simple to replace - all they are is little keys, I don't even want a new keyboard! If I just get new keys that aren't broken they will just pop back on.

I've got a similar problem. I have a Pismo PowerBook G3 missing an option key and a dual USB ibook missing a delete key. After much research I discovered that you have to get a WHOLE new keyboard. You can't just get the keys you need. Although, that would be very nice and easy if it were the case.

If anyone does come across a place that sells just keys please remember this place and post it.

Thanks,
Brian

For everyone - pbparts.com does indeed sell individual keys. They can be found under "case parts" as the last items in the lists. Pricey, at 5-20 dollars for a key. But better than a new keyboard.

(This market is a gold mine - If you're an entrepeneur, I'd start buying keyboards and selling the keys!)

Back