Browser: resumeable downloads

Mat

iSmell
I am wanting to download some pretty large files from the net and am on a 56k connection.

I thought the most sensible thing to do would be to use a browser with resumeable downloads. I am a Safari user, and Safari doesn't offer resumeable downloads.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a decent browser that does have that option.

Thankls

Mat

Another option is to use a Download manager.

Speed download can actually "speed-up" your downloads by making multiple HTTP requests per file, and supports resuming.

There is also Monica. The OSX version's GUI is still a little dodgy with the odd window, but other than that its great. You can dl HTTP, FTP & Hotline files with a queue, and heaps of other snazzy features.

How does IE do that? I don't think I've ever gotten it to really "resume" a download... it usually starts over if I have to reload it. (And I don't want to try quitting in the middle; is this when it happens?)

Yes, I know IE 5 on OS 9 did that. If you canceled a download in the middle, it would start again where you left off.

I'm just learning the capabilities of Mozilla, but it did resume a download after I lost my 56k modem connection accidentally. I haven't tried to do it on purpose, though. YMV.

I should note than iGetter is not a browser, it's a dowload manager, it will pick up your downloads automaticly and you can then puase them and download at a later time

It also automatically resumes the file if the server you're downloading from is a POC and drops the connection a lot :)

Back