• Netscape

• OmniWeb

• Opera

• Safari

• Other... please post which

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jason

Eyebrow Moderator
Ok ok dont get excited, this is but a meer browser poll, to see what us, the mac population use as our main net browser :)

i tried to include all popular choices, if i missed something, thats what "other" is for and mention what ya use :)

I'm going to try to keep this up as long as possible , and then eventually after a few big releases, a new one to see possible changes in stats.

I use camino pretty much 99.9% of the time... you?

I use Safari exclusively. If it doesn't work with Safari, I don't want to see it :D
But aren't there already loads of threads on this topic?

i wanted to make an all-around poll based one, one that has a little longevity as well.

trying to really see what the mac community uses, so hopefully we can get some new people in here as well :)

I have used Safari ever since I upgraded to Jaguar, and have always been amazed by the little app. Mabye it's just my blind worship of everything apple, but some of the features safari has that I haven't seen in other browsers that really show for me are the small, toned down control buttons (ugh mozilla's forward/back/realod/etc buttons are frickin' ugly!), the fact that you can minimize both the adress bar at the top (command-shift-\) and the status bar at the bottom (command-\), and it's speedy rendering. Not to mention the great autofill and tab features, but those are avaliable elsewhere.
The only thing I miss is IE's autofill button - sometimes it's nice not to have to enter my name, adress, phone, email x 2, zip code, etc.
Long live Safari, and I'm looking toward to the GM release :^)

Camino as of now ALL THE WAY! Safari v74 proved to be as unstable as IE x.x on the Wintel Side of the Force if not more! :eek: No matter, how many times I trashed its preferences Safari would still crash on me! I visit A LOT of sites and I found that especially in 2 or 3 specific ones Safari will simply crash! Of course Apple knows this already because of me... :p

Anyways, 10 days ago I downloaded a nightly Camino build although I had already FireBird Mozilla, Mozilla, OmniWeb, Opera, I found out that Camino as of now is the closest thing in Safari (a straight copy if you like) and it doesn't crash! NEVER! In none of my sites at least... :rolleyes:

Until the new Safari version... Camino rules!

Some other things that I like Camino better than Safari:
-When you open multiple tabs it loads faster than Safari those tabs
-It doesn't have the rendering issues of Safari
-When you Ctrl+Click (right click or click+hold) its icon in the Dock you can access its Toolbar Bookmarks
-It displays the Euro symbol :p
-It doesn't crash

Camino! Camino! Camino! Camino! Camino!

As of now, that is! :p :D ;)

:)

MacAddict (Issue82, Jun 2003) has written an article on this very thing. They compared most popular browsers (Camino, iCab, IE, Mozilla, Navigator, Omniweb, Opera and Safari).

WINNER
"Camino is a lean, fast, smart browser based on Mozilla Gecko ehgine and customized for Mac OSX". MacAddict

RUNNER-UP
"Right now it's hard to online bank with Safari. Once Safari can emulate Netscape or IE, or becomes widely supported by online instituions, it will almost surley kick Camino's lean, fast, and smart ass". MacAddict

What do you think of this result by MacAddict???

Mostly Safari, though I still have IE for when a site gets finicky with Safari. Autofill had been one of the original reasons I stuck with IE as long as I did. Safari's is getting better, but still needs some tweaks.
I haven't had any trouble using it with my online banking other, other than having to sit for a second or two as it doubles loads the page right when I'm trying to log on.

main browser is safari, but IE still sits on the dock. I use it on sites like teachnology because it cuts and pasts tables into a spreadsheet better and I just love the save as web archive function. I tried webgrabber for that, but IE just does it.

Hope those two bits get into the gold version and then IE hits the bricks.

No votes for iCab? I guess Ed hasn't seen this thread yet. ;)
Mainly Safari for me, and it does handle my on-line banking. Chimera or Mozilla for sites that Safari can't yet handle. And once every couple of months, IE for those @#$%*&# non-standard sites.

i will use safari until firebird cleans up for OS X. css support in firebird is looking to be the king, even with scroll wheel support (huzzah!)

whichever browser renders the pages most like IE does in windows wins for me; and i can probably speculate that it will win for other web designers as well.

Since OW 4.5 (beta) and Safari 1.0v85 I'm using both at the same time. I have three tab-sets on Safari (for checking/reading) and am actually working with OmniWeb.

As I figured that most people would click on Safari, anyway, I gave OW my vote. Its shortcut system is still the best thing around. It's also the best browser for 'headless' browsing (one window without UI elements).

When using Mac OS X, I use Safari for everything except secure transactions (or site imcompatibility), in which case I turn to IE 5.2.2. When using 9, I use Mozilla 1.21, except for printing, when I again turn to IE 5.1.6. Although I use it as little as possible, if I had to pick ONE browser, I would still pick IE. Although it is slow, it does things that no other browser can do (yet) and has by far the best print preview of all Mac browsers.

Safari has autofill. I recently began entering my first name into a form and it auto-completed. I hit tab, and it filled in Middle, Last, Address, City, State (popup), Zip, Phone and Email fields for me. Worked just fine!

I use Safari most of the time because it has better multi-language support than IE. Especially when it comes to UTF-8. I experience display problem with IE with pages using Unicode on the Mac. However, Safari display the page correctly.

Back