Browsers take forever to load pages.

gena3750

Registered
I use both Firefox and Safari and I'm having the same problem with both. Pages take forever to load or I get a message saying the server can't be found. I have an Adelphia high speed internet connection. My modem speed was tested and everything is fine with it. And yet I age three years waiting for pages to load.

Is there anything I can do to speed things up? I use an iMac G4 with OS 10.4.3.

Thanks much for any suggestions you all might have!

I would check your network settings.

Do you use a router?
if so, is it DHCP? renew your IP lease, and check to make sure your DNS is correct. Also renew your IP on your router.

I had a problem that soundsed pretty much the same, and what it ended up being was I had old static DNS entries from my old ISP.

One important question is what you see in the status bar at the time it's trying to load (the status bar is visible in Firefox at the bottom left by default; in Safari you have to unhide it in the View menu). Does it say "looking up host xxxx", "connecting to host xxx", or "host contacted, waiting for reply"? If it's stuck for awhile on "looking up host", you're likely seeing delays resolving the name in DNS.

i'm having the same problem, and it says "Contacting my.ebay.com" at the bottom. most other pages load pretty quickly, but my ebay wont even load.

mikepak said:
I would check your network settings.

Do you use a router?
if so, is it DHCP? renew your IP lease, and check to make sure your DNS is correct. Also renew your IP on your router.

I had a problem that soundsed pretty much the same, and what it ended up being was I had old static DNS entries from my old ISP.

I have this problem frequently....I have an old airport (the original) as I have a G4 that won't allow me to upgrade (ancient, built in 2002!) so I'm stuck for the moment (I ain't buyin' a new system for the time being). So, how do I do what you suggest in order to get the browser to load the pages faster (if indeed this is the case)?
Thanks

Back