browsers

Winblows

Apathetic
ok, so obviosuly there are problems with chimera, and omniweb has its share of problems, netscape iswacky and explorer is made by microsoft (enough said) .. the ibrowser would prolly be a agreat iApp, but it doesnt exist.. so which are we to choose with out being frusterated everytime were online?

there are 33'580 answers to your question on this board. just look for 'browser'.

Chimera is beta, wait for 1.0 release.
Netscape 6/7 is slow, don't use it.
OmniWeb is a piece of *****.
Microsoft Internet Explorer is fine. Yes ! It is ! Try it !
Opera is too.
iCab is too.

Chimera is beta, wait for 1.0 release.

Actually, it's in the alpha stages still, but it's rendering engine has been in use for years and is very solid, stable and fast. Chimera is my default browser now due to it's speed, stability and support of standards. I like to live on the bleeding edge, so it's incomplete feature set doesn't bother me. I'm a basic browser user anyway, skipping out on all those extras that IE offers (scapbook, etc). Plus, tabbed browsing rocks.

Netscape 6/7 is slow, don't use it.

Depends on your reference machine. Mozilla/Netscape does have the slowest application performance, but again, due to the Gecko rendering engine, seems to render pages quite fast on both my machines (see below).

OmniWeb is a piece of *****.

Ouch! Quite harsh. I disagree completely. OW has a great front end, and renders pages faster than IE (but still slower than Chimera). It has lots of features, like subscriptions, sidebar, and lots of other little nice touches. However, it's the least stable of the batch, and it's rendering engine has a long way to go before it comes near the standards support of both IE and Gecko.

Microsoft Internet Explorer is fine. Yes ! It is ! Try it !

It's pretty well rounded. But for my use, it is way too slow. The next IE update and OS X 10.1.5 will give it antialiased text, which is a nice boost, but it needs major optimization under OS X. Currently, it's just way too slow for me to even consider using.

As for Opera and iCab - Opera makes you look at ads if you don't pay their fee - which is ridiculous. iCab has some nice features, mostly it's small footprint - but again, it's lame support for standards, especially in java/javascript and CSS remove it as an option for me.

So what about mozilla? It's theme-able and I have fallen in love with pinstipe so the only ugly parts left are the form widgets. Netscape 6 was slow but 7 isn't bad but it's the same browser as Mozilla so why not take the one with ad blocking?

I would like to hear what basis you say OW is ****. It's my personal favorite and is quite fast. A lot of the things that make OW superior to it's closest competitors is the fact that it is cocoa so it has the ability to spell check and use services.

Also if you've never tried background scrolling with command key then you really should. With any app in the foreground just hold the command key and click the scroll bar. Only works in OW and Chimera right now because they are cocoa. You can even click on form widgets (giving you the ability to click "post reply" without switching from your chat application)

This is a noticeable weakness in the Finder because it's carbon so you can't scroll the contents of a finder window in the background.

Back