Brushed Metal

lonny

Fearless Thinker
So, more iApps using the brushed metal look.
Personally I don't think it fits everything...
It's alright for "closed" apps, like iMovie, FCP, and so on, but not for apps that require finder interoperability.
iChat looks disturbing to me! AddressBook has metal look, but not when you access it from Mail? Strange...

Plus, my biggest complaint about metal (a part from the fact that I'm a techno-trance head myself :p ) is that those apple are not themable!

I've just started using themes with Duality, and I like it!
Metal apps just don't work with themes....

Whilst I do like the brushed metal effect, restrain is needed in it's application. Also, will this have a limited shelf-life, such as Apple's now dropped lines in the design of both the hardware and even in Aqua.

My biggest problem with the Aqua Ui was the fact that it was a big contrast change from OS9, seemingly too bright/light, bad for my poor eyes. However, as with everything new, we're used to it now.

Opening iTunes is always a pleasing experience to the eyes because of it's 'knocked-back colour'.

Hmmm...

Interesting view on the brushed metal UI, personally I think its apple trying to post a mark on their software so it can easily be identified from the rest of the OS. If u buy software it uses the regular UI so u are instantly aware its not apple's, but the brushed metal software screams OUT OF THE BOX! I BELONG TO APPLE!

with me?

Hope so:)

Originally posted by IsaacBoy
Hmmm...

Interesting view on the brushed metal UI, personally I think its apple trying to post a mark on their software so it can easily be identified from the rest of the OS. If u buy software it uses the regular UI so u are instantly aware its not apple's, but the brushed metal software screams OUT OF THE BOX! I BELONG TO APPLE!

with me?

Hope so:)
Which would make sense except for the rumors that the developers using the Apple Developer Tools will be able to use the brushed metal theme on new applications...

Let me take that thought a step further. Maybe Adobe will apply a 'red ruby' theme to its applications, Macromedia might go with 'black is beautiful' and Microsoft will actually introduce the 'Windows XPerience' to the Mac community? I say: Slap Steve for the brushed metal look of some apps. It's not consistent. Consistency is king in user interface design.

Not really on a mac but certainly on the windows OS Macromedia and adobe do have their own style of UI maybe not drastically different from windows Ui but u can instantly identify that its one of their apps and thats what I think apple want to do with their software, I liek the chrome look though I knwo alot of ppl who can't stand it, though sherlock looked better as aqua as it looked more intergrated liek a search tool really should be.

Brushed metal isn't totally different. It still uses a lot of aqua widgets and dialog boxes and stuff. It is kind of just a replacement of pinstripe. I really don't have a problem with it. It looks cool and it doesn't totally break consistancy.

Back