BT Broadband

Paul C

Registered
I have just upgraded to OS X and I'm having trouble connecting to BT Broadband.

I have downloaded the update for the Intel DSL modem for BT Openworld and installed it but when I try to connect to says 'dialling' and then just sits their in 'connecting' status.

I have spoken to BT and the girl on the phone said that 10.2.3 isn't support and that 10.1 is the highest version supported.

Is this true???

Please help :( :confused:

i suggest you search thru some of the older threads on the site. originally nobody "supported" connecting with os x at all but many of us still did it. my own solution was just sort of a byproduct of satisfying another need. i have a router which connects 2 of us to the same connection. it really doesn't care what system is used as long as the dhcp settings are correct. but lots of other people were able to configure their settings to work when their isp told them it wouldn't (which really just means that the isp is too stupid to know what to do with macs until some IT guy writes an official set of instructions). connecting to DSL is connecting to DSL. i can't imagine why the instructions for 10.2 would be any different than for 10.1.

Thanks for that edX, I'll speak to British Telecom and get the PPP settings, etc.

Thanks again for the help!

Paul, BT Openworld is (reportedly) one of the worst at the moment. Nearly all broadband complaints here in the UK are about this product and of course most of those are from PC users, so you can imagine what it's like for us.

BT seems too large and uncentred to concentrate on broadband properly, the upshot being all these complaints.

I always advise clients and friends to steer clear and go for cable until BT can sort out the bugs. Cable isn't perfect either, but mostly it seems rock steady for both consumers and business.

When BTO works efficiently and simply, it should be worthwhile, assuming that BT is going to last forever! But until then, good luck... keep us updated on the problems if there are any more.

Don't forget, it's always a good idea to sound out the members of this forum before signing up for or purchasing something like this!

If there's any other Brits with BTO, let's hear if it worked or didn't.

I looked at a couple of ISP's:

AOL - don't supply broadband for mac

Demon - Too expensive for installation

etc.

:rolleyes:

BT are now saying that I should be able to connect with any version of OS but I need to check my PPP settings, etc and that I will have to speak to Intel as it's an Intel modem, dunno why cos I have a green light.

:mad:

Do an angry customer call to them. BT is not the only provider in UK. NTL could work. Ask the other UK - people first what they use before downgrading [but if you'll decicde to go for that, look your pms.].

I've had an ntl broadband connection for nearly a year now, with (touch wood) very few problems. They're not exactly Mac-friendly, despite using iMacs in their demonstrations, but the software has installed OK on my new dp G4 Quicksilver, and without having to boot into 9, despite the ntl techies not thinking it would work, and on my iBook, and works happily in Jaguar. I have my connection via a set-top box, but it can be installed as a stand-alone. So far I've been able to do my own trouble-shooting, and it usually amounts to no more than having to reboot the set-top box and the computer.

Problem is that I live in the sticks and can't get cable (NTL) :(

I've spoken to BT and they say they don't support my Intel Anypoiny DSL Modem or OS X, I'm going to call Intel 2morro and I bet I get the same response from them.

Why is it all technical support lines haven't got a clue about Mac OS and "don't support macintosh" :( :mad:

BT sucks... :( when i lived in uk we had ntl light cable and it was ok except when changing the computer ... we had 1 cable and 3 geeks :D so 8 hrs a day for everyone.. me morning, the german in the evening, the greek at night.. hehe. weird but it did work also on linux ... didnt have my ibook yet then ... Hey, DON't downgrade, just make enough noise till you can serve you better!!

Paul, as you're out in the sticks you probably already know that you're pretty much stuffed. It could be that you're two inches further out from the exchange than you should be.

It's going to be a long time, if ever, before a cable company gets to the countryside. Have you looked at wireless/satellite choices? Are they too expensive? Even then, the connection would probably go down if a cloud passes overhead.

Sorted!! after speaking to Intel and BT and them telling me that everything looks ok I played about with the settings and even though my password should be blank I put a space in and tried to connect and hay presto it worked.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

gee, glad to say "i told you so" :D

welcome to the dream world of broadband. wanna race? :p

Congratulations! Sounds you had a slightly better time of it than pensfan further down this forum.

Er - if anything else goes wrong, let us know!

Back