Bug with Internet Connect? or What?

chemistry_geek

Registered
Everytime I connect to the internet with Internet Connect, launch iTunes, cruise the internet with Netscape 6 or OmniWeb, OR play Quake3Arena, disconnect and try to reconnect sometime later, my computer stops playing MP3's and I get the spinning beachball of death. I'm talking a total lockup - nothing works. Anyone else experiencing this problem? I suspect it's abug because it was present in Public Beta -> 10.0.4 -> 10.1 as far as I know. Even changing from a G3 to a G4 logic board didn't correct the problem.

chemistry_geek

Blue & White G3, G4 logic board, 500MHz IBM G3, 768MB RAM, 12GB UltraATA, 18GB UltraSCSI, Adaptec 2930 SCSI Card, 100MB Zip (built-in), LaCie SCSI CD-RW.

It's a silly bug. It happens to me too. If you have connected at some point earlier and later on go to connect again, it'll do this. It has smething to do with trying to initiaize the modem. As for why it manages to freeze the entire OS is beyond me. 10.1 fixed it a little. Doesn't take as long anymore, but still annoying. OS 9 used to do this too. But that was expected from an OS without multithreading. But come on! OS X is multithreaded and a simple task as connecting to the internet freezes it up?

Yep same here. If you're connecting for a second or third time, when you hit connect the mouse starts skipping around the screen - sometimes it lasts a second or two, sometimes that's it and that damn spinning beach ball of death....

Back