build your own g4

cfleck

tired
i stumbled upon an article on MacOpz.com on how to put together your own g4 system.

just curious if anyone has done this. i'm thinking of taking it up as a project for poops and giggles. ideally, i'd like to put together a laptop, but i could guess that that would be a real pain in the bottom.

i know its not a "mac", but supposedly it'll run osx so thats worth something!

Just because it a G4 does not mean the Mac OS will recognize it as a real Apple machine and let you install the OS.

...I guess you could install on of the PPC Linux distributions, but what's the point of that?

Funny!

Thier ultimate conclusion was to "Not bother" doign this because it takes a ton of time, and it is no cheaper than just buying yourself a G4...

...so same question... What's the point?

"but it'll be a lot uglier...."

i gotta believe that somewhere out there, i can find a g4 case. dontcha think?
i hope so.

Its a shame 2Ghz Athlons (NEW) can cost less than the 1Ghz G4s (used), also the top of the line nforce2 boards cost the same (NEW) as referbished logic boards....
if the cost less to build a G4 system than buying the apple, building a mac would be great...

about the "it being no cheaper" post. looking at the parts that techtv used, they had a $500 logic board. i've found a comparable one for $150. so maybe they didnt do it the most economical way.

even still, all the looking around i have done, i cant build one for 3 grand. the sum of all parts is WELL under that. i have a feeling that a real problem is going to be finding the superdrive i want!

it's cheaper to go ahead and buy a real one... plus you get a standard 1 year warrenty from Apple...

Originally posted by Sirtovin
it's cheaper to go ahead and buy a real one... plus you get a standard 1 year warrenty from Apple...

Minus the headaches if something goes wrong.:rolleyes:

One reason I've considered it is that Apple seems incapable of building a case with enough space inside. I can put one of these is a standard 4U rackmount, add a LVD SCSI card and finally get a G4 with hardware RAID across 8 disks
Aaron

Back