Bulk Read-Write permission changes

LDMartin1959

Registered
I have a lot of files which were moved over from my former Windows computer which are set to read-only permissions. And by a lot, I mean thousands. I do not want to have to manually go through and change the permissions for each. I would like a better -- and quicker and easier -- way to do this. I thought about using terminal and I looked at some of the material for CHMOD that has been referenced elsewhere but I am not familiar enough with Mac/Unix to make head or tail out of it (plus I am not sure about the navigation commands which would be necessary to get me where I want to start from).

I'd like to know how I can change all the permissions for visible files (or I can do it by file type if necessary) in my data directiories (lets start with the PICTURES directory and I'll take it from there) and all subfolders from READ to READ-WRITE.

Help!!

Thank you.

Leslie D. Martin

I do a lot of copying back and forth between different computers and Operating Systems. Occasionally, this causes permissions/owners of files to get ‘locked’.

For example, If I copy files from my Windows 7 computer to my Mac, the files will be locked to the user on the Windows Computer (Billie) and I need them to be owned by the MAC user (billie). This script will fix that.

Simply run the app, enter your administer password (required for rights changes), and choose the folder to modify. It will change the permissions/owner on the files in the folder, recursively, to ‘Everyone’. This will allow you to open the file, save, modify, etc. Test it out on a generic folder of files - you will see what I mean.

http://soniq.org/soniqstuff/12837/mac-software-fix-permissions-for-os-x-files

It's free, and it does what it's supposed to. If you have questions, you can email me, since I wrote it. :)

Back