Burn across multiple CDs

aqsalter

Registered
I would like to be able to do backups by just dragging a desired folder onto an application that will allow me to back up across multiple CDs (if the data won't fit on one CD.

I want a simple process since I will be asking my wife to do her own backups, ie something along the lines of:
- drag desired folder onto CD icon,
- wait till CD finishes burning and ejects,
- load new CD,
- repeat until process finished.

Is there any applications that allow this? Seems like a simple request, but I've searched the everywhere and turned up nothing so far (except .Mac, and I'm not going to sign up to .Mac to just get a backup solution)

Any help appreciated greatly.

Cheers,
Adam

Well, my solution isn't a software solution but an organization solution. Here's what I do to make back ups/burn cds of archived files. I have used it at several large companies in San Diego:

1. Separate out all your data into appropriately named folders (you can create as many of these folders as you need: ARCHIVE_000_PROJECTNAME.
2. Select an Archive folder that you have created and use Command+"i" to see that folder's file size.
3. Then take the files you are trying to burn and put them in that folder, a few at a time till you see the folder as full as it can get (about 680MB for a 700MB cd).
4. Repeat these steps till all your files are in separate and sequentially numbered folders. If you have more than one folder for the same job, make sure the cd names reflect that (1 of 4) etc.

Cheryl's idea of using Retrospect is great if you have another drive or server computer to save/copy/mirror your files to. I am not sure it works to burn cds automatically as you are requesting.

Cheers! :)

Back