burn PAL dvd s 4 times a year

samuri

Registered
I wish to burn PAL dvd s 4 times a year. The rest of the time I will be burning and watching NTSC dvds.
there's some sort of maximum number of times a (5?)DVD drive can change regions.
So what is my best option apart from getting a region free DVD player.
Latest Tiger 10.4 powerbook g4 as of nov 2005 with 1.5 gb ram

Well, iDVD, the program which actually BURNS the DVDs, lets you easily switch back and forth between NTSC and PAL by choosing "Preferences" from the "iDVD" menu...

And, DVD Player, yeah, has a limit on the number of times you can change the region.

However, the VIDEO STANDARD and the REGION are two completely different things. Video Standard determines frame rate and resolution... NTSC or PAL... But region is just a dumb code telling a DVD in which DVD player it can be played, two different things.

So, my question is, once you burn one of your PAL DVDs, can you play it in DVD player without changing the region code? If so, you're set. If not.... yeah... the irony is that you can easily switch back and forth when burning, but can't switch back and forth when viewing.

actually, there are region-disabling codes for almost all dvd players out there.
there are actually several sites that list thousands of these codes and how to enter them w/a remote.
google-search it.
i learned about this in popular science about 6 months ago

jeremy

orbj said:
actually, there are region-disabling codes for almost all dvd players out there.
But a mistake in using these codes can immediately render your DVD player into an otherwise useless paperweight so be advised of the potential risk you are taking.

perfessor101 said:
But a mistake in using these codes can immediately render your DVD player into an otherwise useless paperweight so be advised of the potential risk you are taking.

So What is my best option if I want to usually watch and burn NTSC dvds , but occasssionally make PAL dvds? I dont want a hardware solution.thanks

Back