Burned CDs not working in real CD player.

AkulaIX

Registered
I'm trying to play CDRs in my DVD player that I burn from iTunes and Toast but no matter what I do, nothing works. The DVD won't recognize the disc.

My Sony DVD player will play commercial CDs just fine but not the CDR.

Any idea as to what I may be doing wrong?

Greg

I have two Sony cd players. Sometimes they recognize discs I have burnt, sometimes they don't. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. It's really strange.

There is probably nothing wrong with the discs you have burnt. It's possibly a Sony thing. Because the cds I have burnt work in my car, in my dvd player, and even in Windows-based computers at work.

I have a Sony and a no-name DVD player. Of course the no-name can read all my Audio CD-Rs. ;)

What I've noticed is that the Sony can play some CD-R brands without problem. TDK for example. Or, hmm, Sony. But I haven't been able to make the Sony play Memorex or no-name CD-Rs. So, basically, buy TDK CD-Rs and you're on the safe side.

Some older CD and DVD players just won't play computer-burned CDs period. Others are picky as to the color of the media and if the blanks you're using aren't silver then that could be a problem. Lastly burn speed is also an issue, I've had better luck with discs burned at 2X than with max possible, especially when playing them in my car CD player.

To answer your other question a VCD is a video CD, a way of putting video on a CD. Many new DVD players play VCDs too, although many do not. VCDs have never really caught on in North America although they are very popular in Asia.

Try a different brand of CD-R. Some players don't like certain types of media.

For instance my CD Player in my Acura Integra refuses to play Ricoh's and Verbatim's but doesn't have too much trouble with other types. Sometimes it will take 30 seconds for it to recognize the first track then all is well.

Many models of Sony DVD players will not read CD-R or CD-RW media. My original sony DVD player did not. Give us your model number of your Sony and I will get you a list of what media it will accept.

Back