Burned DVD's not playing in a standard DVD player??

miniweld

Registered
Hi, First week of being a mac user and I am trying to convert a avi file and the burn it to dvd. Previously in windows I used "convertXtoDVD", which was great. When looking for a MAC alternative I found VisualHub, which seemed to do the trick, the dvd was burned.
The thing is that when I try to play the DVD on a standard DVD player, it will not play the DVD.
Is there something I am doing wrong as the previous dvd's i burned on XP played fine on this particular DVD player.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Time to do a little diagnostic work ... Pop the disc in your Mac and open it up in the Finder. Does it have a "Video_TS" folder, and if not what files or folders do you find on the disc? Next try playing it using DVD Player.app to see if that works or not.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I have a Video_TS and Audio_TS file. Also, when I insert the disk it automatically plays using the Mac DVD player?
Any help appreciated, tried reducing the burn speed but still get the same results.
Thanks

Hi

I have the same problem. I am trying to make a DVD from an avi using Visual Hub. It plays in the standard DVD app on the Macintosh but i am unable to play it on a standard dvd player it just says unrecogisable disc!

I am going to try and convert it to mpeg-2 first then i will try and encode it to dvd. I will let you know how i get on.

Not all standalone DVD players can play all kinds of writable DVDs. In fact, most of them CAN'T play every kind. Look up your player at http://www.videohelp.com/ and see what other users report as working. It could be that you're using DVD+R when only DVD-R will work (or vice-versa).

Hi

my dvd player is ALBA DVD45 and supports DVD-RW so i know it is not that. Do you have any suggestions of things i might try?

Are you sure you burned it as a UDF disk? And what app did you use to burn the disc?

You might want to try using Burn 1.72. It will let you burn data in UDF (perfect if you already have your VIDEO_TS folder), or convert most videos to DVD-video before burning. In the preferences there's an option to "Create a fully-compatible DVD-video disc", which supposedly is required for some players. Maybe yours is one of those.

Thanks Mikuro

I converted the avi to mpeg-2 in Visual Hub and then to DVD and this works ok and the audio isn't out of sync anymore. I will also try burn just out of interest to see what happens.

just adding this if anyone else searches for audio sync problems

http://forums.support.roxio.com/lofiversion/index.php/t791.html

I previously has probelms with ffmpegx & toast. I encoded the avi to author dvd and burnt to dvd via toast 8. The dvd worked but the sound was out of sync i believe this might be because ffmpegx uses quicktime codecs (which i didn't have installed) when this is burnt with toast 8 it re-encodes it again putting the audio out of sync. I have searched for a fix but i am unable to find a setting to turn off encoding in toast grrrr.

You can turn off encoding in Toast. The trick is to use the "Data" section, NOT "Video". Create a Data disc in Toast, drop in your VIDEO_TS folder, and select "DVD-ROM (UDF)" as the format. (Note that I'm using an older version of Toast, so things might have different labels in your version.)

Back