Burning a Back-up of OS X

Morbius

Registered
Call me paranoid but I like to have a back-up of my software in case anything happens to the CD's (scratches etc) does anyone know if you will be able to clone the OSX install cd?

Scratched master discs are very rare as they are used so infrequently and modern cd mechanisms are very robust to scratches. I'm sure Apple would happily replace any defective media.

I once physically lost my Photoshop master. Adobe was able to recover my sales record and fed ex'ed a copy at no charge.

You are probably looking to copy for legit reasons, but I don't think you have to worry. What I do worry about are pirate copies. Apple is in serious financial shape and the number of OS X orders over the next 6 months is more important than the revenue stream brought in. The scale of the movement will impress (or not) developers, new buyers and ultimately wallstreet.

I agree. And I want to support Apple all the way. Like I said it's just paranoia. I mean common it's probably the greatest OS ever. :)

He he ;-)
YOu are not paranoid my friend :)
Whenever I get a new (audio) CD I make MP3s out of it and then I store it away almost never to be seen again lol, and I listen to my music off my HD, thus 96% of my CDs are scratch free ;)

For OSs & software I dont worry because of what "esc" said :) Unfortunatelly if you buy your CDs from tower records and you lose your CD.. I dont think that they are going to give you a new ne for nothing lol ;)

Admiral

I to Would like to Burn my copy of OSX. I have a Mac at work and Home. I dont want to carry the cd. I tried to copy it but it dont copy right. All the files are there but it has to be a Start-up disk. How do I burn it in the right format?

OK, Wanna burn a "BACK-UP" of OS-X? Well, All you need is a PC! LOL! I know, how Ironic? All you need is a PC, a cd burner, and NERO burning rom! Just do a CD-COPY and turn off on the fly! Make sure you check the continiuing to copy box! PLEASE ADVISE, THIS IS INTENDED to back-up your precious OSX cd. NOT for anyone to pirate. Support APPLE and BUY the CD. If ya wanna bootleg a OS, go get WINDOWS!

-Chas

> Binau
> I to Would like to Burn my copy of OSX. I have a Mac at
> work and Home. I dont want to carry the cd. I tried to
> copy it but it dont copy right. All the files are there
> but it has to be a Start-up disk. How do I burn it in
> the right format?

Cut the "oh, this is a 'backup'" bull and just go BUY 2 legal copies!!!

Hell, have your damn company buy one...

[Edited by TommyWillB on 03-28-2001 at 10:29 PM]

Back