Burning a DVD+RW with Toast 6 Titanium?

Morgan19

Registered
Can someone give me stupid-proof step-by-step instructions on how to burn a DVD+RW so I can rewrite to it later? I've already wasted one disc because it was finalized, but I don't see any options to change that.

m19

it doesn't matter if you finalize the disc or not, you can do what you want with a rewritable dvd. when you decide to empty the dvd and reuse it for other files, simply go to "recorder > erase" menu or type CMD + B

I should've been more descriptive when describing what I'm trying to do. The purpose of this disc is to act as an archive of files so having to erase it each time isn't an option: I need to keep the files on there and then add more files at a later point in time. I would've thought it'd be like a CD-RW where I can add one file, then add another file later, etc. Surely there's some way to accomplish that?

As it is now, when I burned some files onto the original DVD+RW and then went back to add more, it told me it was locked and that I couldn't add more.

m19

mmm it seems strange the cd-rw behaviour you describe.. if i well understood you want to use it like a banal finder folder, where you put the files when you want... only dvds ram have this capability... anyway you can "simulate" (!) this feature by using ISO9660 multisessions: you have to burn your dvd using ISO9660 option without finalizing it and when you want to add some files, you have to import last session from "session" menu in ISO9660 window that appears when you click on "select" button in the main window...
and you can do this operations also with not rewritable dvds

3mors said:
mmm it seems strange the cd-rw behaviour you describe.. if i well understood you want to use it like a banal finder folder, where you put the files when you want... only dvds ram have this capability... anyway you can "simulate" (!) this feature by using ISO9660 multisessions: you have to burn your dvd using ISO9660 option without finalizing it and when you want to add some files, you have to import last session from "session" menu in ISO9660 window that appears when you click on "select" button in the main window...
and you can do this operations also with not rewritable dvds

You think what I'm trying to do is strange? Why? I've worked that way with CD-RWs for years so it would only make sense that a DVD+RW should be able to do the same thing.

If I understand what you're saying, I have to use a DVD-RAM disc to accomplish this effectively.

m19

did you use particular programs with your cd-rws?

anyway, if i'm not in wrong, you have to use dvd-ram (but you have to use a ram burner): they are the only that write "on-the-fly", in fact they are used on table dvd recorders...

Roxio Knowledge Base Article - ET6000041

How to Multisession DVDs

The information in this article applies to:
Toast 6.X Titanium

On the following Operating Systems:
Mac OS X

Issue

How to: Multisession DVDs

Cause

Resolution

You cannot burn a multi-session DVD using Toast Titanium. Currently, there is no supported multi-
session standard for DVD recording.

bobw said:
You cannot burn a multi-session DVD using Toast Titanium. Currently, there is no supported multi-
session standard for DVD recording.

Heh, well that confirms it. Does this apply to just Toast, or are there other Mac programs out there that can do a multisession DVD+RW?

m19

Back