Burning CDs in OSx to be read on PC

rollerboy

Registered
I've burnt a CD on OS 10.1 that I want to use in a PC. It shows me the file structure fine. But won't open any of the files on ithe disk. It says (in 2k) that the disk structure is corrupt and unreadable. I used the standard (HFS Plus/ISO 6990) format for the disk which in the OSX help says should read fine on a PC. In the past I've had problems with CDs burnt on a PC that haven't had the session closed, I was thinking that this may be a similar problem, but can't see anything in OSX to solve this problem. I'm running a G4 dual with a CD burner built in.

The last time I saw this behaviour, I'd let disc burner burn at maximum (12x for the Que! burner I'm using) on a blank that was only certified to 8x. You don't mention whether the disc can be read correctly on the Mac (or other Macs), but if the speed-mismatch is the problem, the cd's probably a coaster; nothing will be able to reliably read it.

I think the prefs in Disc Copy control the speed of burn in Finder, although I'm not 100% sure about that. I generally use Toast to burn CDs anyway, and that makes controlling the speed very simple. My solution for disc burner was to simply use better media (16x), and I've not made a coaster since... :)

Also, disc burner doesn't do multisession discs. It closes the disc at the end of each burn, so you don't have that problem at least.

Good luck!

Hi Kenny, thanks for the reply. The disk is readable on the mac that I did the burn on, but not on any of the PC's that I have here. I can't try it on any other Mac's cause this is the only one I have at home. I'll see if the media and the burn speed are what they need to be. But I'm confused that I can read the files OK on the mac and on the PC's it shows me the file structure, but won't load the files. could it be something to do with byte swapping?

Thanks again,

Cg.

Back