Burning DATA CDs

hyph-n

Registered
I updated to 10.0.3 as soon as it came out :) - with a hope that it would allow me to Burn DATA CDs...... anyone know how??!

Everyone seem to want to burn MP3/Music CDs (doesn't appeal to me)... i just want to transfer 100s of MB of Data....

... am I the 1st person to want to do this..???

:confused:

you're not the first to want this ... i'm waiting, too... let's hope apple get this issue sorted out soon... next update, i hope...

Hmm, does cdrecord only support SCSI drives, or do you think it could be convinced to work with a USB Iomega ZIP CD writer? I think I may have tried this program once before, but I couldn't get it to recognize the drive.

I don't have a problem with command line stuff.... but you are missing the point -> I want to be able to insert a Blank CD-R, format it [quickly], copy a load of files to it, eject it, put it into another machine [mac/unix/win], & read the files.

I know i can boot into MacOS9, but i just like OSX so much!

oh well.... i'll just have to wait for a little bit longer...

:cool:

> I want to be able to insert a Blank CD-R, format it [quickly],
> copy a load of files to it, eject it, put it into another machine
> [mac/unix/win], & read the files.

I don't know how familiar you are with burning data disks... but you can't preformat it, and copy files to it like a normal disk. You have to prepare a CD disk image, and then burn it to the disk. Even re-writable disks can only be re-written to, in whole.

The mention of cdrecord sounds nice. I haven't tried that yet. But as also mentioned, they didn't see any support for non-scsi drives. I do not know if there is a port for a non-scsi version. In Linux, I had to use an IDE-to-SCSI kernel module.

I hope this helps. Time for me to go dig in to this and see if I can get that working as well.

-Alex

I don't agree -

it's all down to whether the CD is written to in sessions/tracks or what... you can write to a CD in a number of sessions (something that OS9 couldn't even do!) - with CD-RW it's even better. If you format them as UDF then you can treat them just like a normal Disk.

I've tried this @ work on my NT box: format a CD-RW as UDF, copy loads of stuff to it, take it out, put it into a MacOS9 Mac, it reads it OK .. BUT put it into a MacOSX mac, IT CAN'T EVEN read UDF...

Come on Apple -- GET A GRIP!!

Actually, that's true. You can do a multi-session recording, but my point was that it's not at all like a normal file system, where you can format and then copy files. You still have to prepare the track for each session.

And to my knowledge, with CDRW's, you need to still blank the whole disk when reusing it. You can't just erase specific existing tracks to replace them.

It's mostly a matter of simantics. The term "copy" just isn't quite correct, and offers a false sense of the actual process involved, and with many people, will cause confusion down the line.

As far as the compatibilities across different OS's, you have to think about your target. You can create a CD that supports several filesystem headers, with cross-compatible file naming conventions... but you have to explicitly make that choice.

I definitely agree tho. Apple needs to get with the times, and support what's more commonly accepted as the standards. If everyone else is able to support several formats, is it really that hard for them to do? Hopefully, OS X (being a UNIX base) will take them a few more steps in that direction.

Cheers,
-Alex

Back