Burning DVD+R

hinotoxin

Registered
I have to reformat so I'm backing up all my files. I bought some DVDs to do it, and I've tried burning music onto one of them in iTunes. It says the media is not the correct type for this operation. So I tried doing it in the finder but it didn't work. I've just realised that I bought DVD+R, not DVD-R. Does this mean I cannot use these disks at all? Or is there some way to do it?

I'm on an iMac g4 OS 10.4.5.

iTunes will tell you that it's the wrong media type if you haven't changed iTunes's burning preferences to "Data". Otherwise, it wants to write to a CD-R.

Some other info would be helpful... what type of dvd writer do you have? Choose "About this Mac" from the Apple Menu and click on "More Info" and select "IDE" (or "ATA" if you have a newer mac) from the hardware section. There you'll find the info on your drive. Then you can google the model to see if it'll use DVD+R.

Unless you have replaced the optical drive in your G4 iMac or you are using an external burner the drive itself does not have the lasers needed to burn a DVD+R nor the lasers needed to burn a CD+R. The double layer SuperDrives Apple is installing now can handle either DVD-R or DVD+R. They have to because the double layer media is only available in DVD+R format but it requires another set of lasers in the drive.

Back