Burning DVD: Toast 6: Mac & PC

MMak

Registered
I'm running Toast 6 Titanium on Panther (10.3.1) and a 15" TiBook with superdrive. I'd like to create a data DVD-R for backups so that it'll be compatible with Mac and PC.

I've used Toast's "Mac and PC" mode to burn a DVD-R without success. It reads on my Mac, but when I pop it in a Windows XP machine, it doesn't recognize the DVD-R. Although if I burn it in "ISO 9660" mode, the Windows XP machine CAN read it. I want to preserve the long file names but ISO 9660 makes all the file names uppercase and limit to 8-characters.

I don't have this problem with CD-Rs, I can burn in "Mac and PC" mode and both machines could read it perfectly. File names are all intact.

Thank you!

Sounds like your DVD-Rom in your pc is unable to handle those DVD-Rs. Might be rather due to the brand name than the burning mode. You should really go for highquality DVD-Rs. I saw few tests telling the Apple DVD-Rs are quite the best. Verbatim is another option. Works fine over here.
So, I would suggest to try other DVD-Rs.

Ditto, While CDs have a standard that most companies follow, there are many DVD-Rs that do not work in all machines. Make sure it is not a DVD-R+.

You could also try burning the DVD-R in ISO9660 mode again, but there's an option for making the files in Joliet mode, which would allow for long filenames on Windows machines.

Click the "Select..." button on the ISO9660 layout, and then click the "Settings" tab. Under the "Naming" pull-down menu, there should be an option for "Joliet."

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You could also try burning the DVD-R in ISO9660 mode again, but there's an option for making the files in Joliet mode, which would allow for long filenames on Windows machines.

Click the "Select..." button on the ISO9660 layout, and then click the "Settings" tab. Under the "Naming" pull-down menu, there should be an option for "Joliet."

Thanks, you're such a good helper! I'll try ISO 9660 again. What's the difference between DVD-ROM (UDF) and ISO 9660 mode? I'll be mostly burning data DVD-R that can be read on a Mac and PC.

Back