Burning from iPhoto a CD-ROM

themacko

Barking at the moon.
I thought this was going to be a sweet feature but it's actually quite a mess. We all know how complicated the file system that iPhoto uses is, well it copies all those folders, sub-folders, etc to the CD. So instead of giving a friend a CD with all your photos sitting on it, they have to dig through the mess to find anything.

Seems stupid to me.

Yeah it's pretty easy to do what I want, I guess I was just disappointed that I wasted a entire 15 cents on the CD-R. ;)

WoW, 15 cents. I haven't paid for a blank in quite some time. Checking Dealmac, I usually get 100 blanks for free after the rebates.

Not altogether sure what the problem is. There are two ways to burn photos from CDs. The way you describe should only be used when sending pictures to another iPhoto user. When sending to windows users (or when burning photos for my DVD player) I just:
1. put the CD-R in the computer,
2. let the finder open the CD,
3. select a bunch of pictures (all from different albums),
4. go to File -> Export and do a file export,
5. select the CD-R as the export location, and
6. burn the CD from the finder.

I'm glad both modes are there, because the normal iPhoto burn has advantages (especially for archiving and backing up pictures), but I wish they were better documented.

I just tried burning a disc from iphoto.

I have to say im VERY disappointed in apple over this (non)feature.

iPhoto just hung after the burn and had to be force quit (happened 2 times once with a cdr and the second with a cdrw). Then the disc wouldn't even mount properly - i had to go to disc utility and manually select it and click mount.

and this is the bit that really gets me: as said above it just copies the iphoto library across to the disc.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a standard (ie:photo-CD) for writing photos to a cd? I know some DVD players can play Photo-CDs. I remember once i got photos scanned at a camera shop and the were put on what i think was a photo disc.

Surely the main reason someone would put photos on CD is to give to someone else or to take to the photo lab to get developed!

BOO apple BOO.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93277

here we go: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/cd/formatPhoto-c.html
Photo CD
Developed in the early 90s by Kodak and Philips (who seems to have its hand in everything CD-related), photo CD is an implementation of CD-ROM extended architecture designed to hold photographic images. They technically use mode 2 form 1 of the CD-ROM XA architecture. Photo CDs are defined in the "orange book" specification.

When you send in film for processing to photo CD, the film is first developed normally. The developed and printed pictures are then scanned and converted to digital form, encoded into the photo CD format, and written to the CD. Writing the photos to the CD is done using a process that is basically the same as how CD-R works: a laser burns the information into the tracks of the CD.

After you have sent in film and created the first photo CD, it is possible to record additional films to the same disk. However, doing this means that the information is written in multiple sessions, and therefore a player that supports multiple sessions is required to access the disk properly.
:mad:

Back