Only Two Free iLife apps?
*counts*
Uh, someone's finger counting skills SUCK! I count 3 free iApps! :p

1.) iMovie = FREE
2.) iTunes = FREE
3.) iPhoto = FREE
4.) iDVD = $50

:rolleyes: :p :D

iMovie and iPhoto, which are free, were updated unlike iTunes. Likely Jobs was going to charge for them after the update and decided not to.

Sounds more like thinksecret is trying to cover their butt and not look like they missed the mark by such a large margin.

Seeing as how they held firm with the rumor even up to the day of Macworld, I would agree with you, Lord..hehe..

I used to hold Think Secret in pretty high regard. I don't anymore.

Considering their speculation on profit Apple left behind on this decision...as a shareholder...that's bad.

How do you see this as Thinksecret covering their behinds. They predicted that it was gonna be a $50 update for all 3 apps. Steve changed his mind a few days before MWSF. Thinksecret was 'techinically' right.

According to them. We don't know if apple was ever going to charge $50 for the update to all 3 apps. All we know is that thinksecret and some others got ahold of some rumors that said they were.

And as it turns out they are charging $50 dollars for a box that contains 4 iApps, but you can download 3 of them for free if you don't want/need the media. So basically, I think that thinksecret got it wrong, and rather than admit that they were mistaken, though not totally off base, they claim that Apple switched all the marketing (images, pressreleases, signage, etc) just before MWSF to spite them. True or not, and I would guess not, its still quite small of them, and does nothing to further their reputation as people in-the-know.

So techincally they were wrong, and we have only their word that it was switched on them after they reported on it. Pretty tenuous to base a claim that they were right on, is it not?

LordOphidian:
"According to them. We don't know if apple was ever going to charge $50 for the update to all 3 apps. All we know is that thinksecret and some others got ahold of some rumors that said they were."

There's more evidence than their word (unless ThinkSecret has decided to Photoshop it's butt out of trouble). Apparently Jim Heid had access to the iApps before they were released and wrote in his book that all the new iApps except iTunes would not be downloadable, implying that one had to pay for them in a box. Read the entire article to see what I mean.

Well, I'd say they were close enough with their rumours about the iApps, they even got the price right, only the packaging was wrong. Whether they have been misinformed or whether Apple really changed that in the last days before MWSF doesn't _really_ matter, I think.

I _also_ think ThinkSecret shouldn't have posted about the late-changes themselves, though, because they must know that it looks like they're covering their butts with it.

What I'm really worried about is that Apple might release a spreadsheet for 99$ soon. And a word processing app for 99$. This would make about 300$ for an 'iOffice' (with Keynote attached). I hope they're going to do something similar to iLife, though, and release the iWork package for about 129$ for all three apps. If the three apps do integrate well (together and with MS Office), I'm willing to go that route, but not for the price of 'the real thing' (i.e. MS Office v. X).

(Still hoping that Apple is listening in and changing prices according so some of our good wishes...) :)

Back